Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default pasting in XL for Macintosh

I received the following inquiry from someone who uses Excel 2004 for
the Mac. I can't replicate it in either Excel 2003 or Excel 2007 for
Windows. Has anyone come across this issue in the Mac version of
Excel?

"Go to IMDB and look at a typical cast list. You see the cast member's
name, followed by three dots, followed by his character. Formerly,
when I copied and pasted this into Excel, each of those appeared in
its own column. Now, the name is split into as many columns as there
are words in the name, etc., as if it was automatically doing a text-
to-column operation using spaces as the delimiter. If it is, how do I
disable it? If something else is going on, how do I fix it?"

Thanks,

Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I've come across this before as well, since i use Mac 2004.

The strange thing about copying and pasting into excel using 2004 is that it
actually always uses the last setting of "Text to Column". So what your
friend needs to do is to just go to a random column of data, and use "Text to
Column" function with the settings that he wants. After he uses it on this
random column, he can then go and copy and paste from IMDB into excel and it
should do it the way he wants to.

It's annoying sometimes, I know, but thats the only way i've figured out how
to do it. But it can be useful as well, since once you set it using the Text
to Column thing, any copy and paste that you use will have the same settings.
At least, until you use text to column again and change the function.