Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Ecxel should let me setup delimiters (other than " " spaces)

i have a lot of attributes to set up.
most of them only differ in another suffix: for example:

attribute1_suffix1
attribute1_suffix2
attribute1_suffix3

If I doubleklick "suffix1" in Excel the whole word "attribute1_suffix1" is
selected. This makes it very painful to process lots of data.

suggestion: offer an option to setup delimiters like in ... UltraEdit for
example.
Delimiters like {}""$<_ and so on. not only " "

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Jun 26, 9:33 am, ewerybody
wrote:
i have a lot of attributes to set up.
most of them only differ in another suffix: for example:

attribute1_suffix1
attribute1_suffix2
attribute1_suffix3

If I doubleklick "suffix1" in Excel the whole word "attribute1_suffix1" is
selected. This makes it very painful to process lots of data.

suggestion: offer an option to setup delimiters like in ... UltraEdit for
example.
Delimiters like {}""$<_ and so on. not only " "

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm....mspx?mid=0a3a...

Have you tried using Text to Columns with "_" as a delimiter and then
editing your data? That should yield the desired result if I
understand your problem correctly.

Hope that helps,

Tim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

i have a lot of attributes to set up.
most of them only differ in another suffix: for example:

attribute1_suffix1
attribute1_suffix2
attribute1_suffix3

If I doubleklick "suffix1" in Excel the whole word "attribute1_suffix1"
is
selected. This makes it very painful to process lots of data.

suggestion: offer an option to setup delimiters like in ... UltraEdit for
example.
Delimiters like {}""$<_ and so on. not only " "

----------------
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
"I
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm....mspx?mid=0a3a...

Have you tried using Text to Columns with "_" as a delimiter and then
editing your data? That should yield the desired result if I
understand your problem correctly.

I got the impression this was a VBA editor question.

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you're editing in the Formula Bar, single-click where you want to
edit rather than double-click. Double-clicking to highlight an entire
word is a fairly standard editing feature in many program that deal
with text.

Better yet, edit directly in a cell by double-clicking in it -- this
sets the cursor at the position of the double-click. (You must have
the "Edit directly in cell" option set under Tools|Options|Edit.)

Mark Lincoln

On Jun 26, 12:33 pm, ewerybody
wrote:
i have a lot of attributes to set up.
most of them only differ in another suffix: for example:

attribute1_suffix1
attribute1_suffix2
attribute1_suffix3

If I doubleklick "suffix1" in Excel the whole word "attribute1_suffix1" is
selected. This makes it very painful to process lots of data.

suggestion: offer an option to setup delimiters like in ... UltraEdit for
example.
Delimiters like {}""$<_ and so on. not only " "

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm....mspx?mid=0a3a...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

i have a lot of attributes to set up.
most of them only differ in another suffix: for example:

attribute1_suffix1
attribute1_suffix2
attribute1_suffix3

If I doubleklick "suffix1" in Excel the whole word "attribute1_suffix1" is
selected. This makes it very painful to process lots of data.

suggestion: offer an option to setup delimiters like in ... UltraEdit for
example.
Delimiters like {}""$<_ and so on. not only " "

This is a VBA editor issue, right? I don't know of a way to do what you
asked; but you could type your suffixes using a "uniquely findable"
character in front of them, say a backward apostrophe (on the key next to
the 1-key), and then do a Replace All on that character substituting your
attribute prefix for it. Hence, you would type

`suffix1
`suffix2
`suffix3

select Edit/Replace, put ` in the Find What field and attribute1_ in the
Replace With field and click the Replace All button. It is not what you
asked for, but it may prove to be a tolerable work-around.

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I took "If I doubleklick "suffix1" in Excel [...]" to mean working
within a workbook.

However, by single-clicking at the beginning of "suffix1" and dragging
across it will highlight only the that portion of the whole. At least
in my VBA editor.

Mark Lincoln

On Jun 26, 1:22 pm, "Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)"
wrote:
[...]

Rick- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I really have to proofread before clicking "Send." I'll try again....

I took "If I doubleklick "suffix1" in Excel [...]" to mean working
within a workbook.

However, single-clicking at the beginning of "suffix1" and dragging
across it will highlight only that portion of the whole. At least
in my VBA editor.

Mark Lincoln

wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

WoooW!! Thanks so much for the wordy response!!! :]
much appreciated!

Pardon me this is not in VBA! I really mean basic editing in excel cells.

And you are right:
doubleclicking words with "_" commonly selects the whole word.
Not here in the browser. Not in my instant messager. But seems it does
everywhere else.

Nevertheless Excel ignores every other common delimiters like /\(){}[],;"

Know how to setup those? And if these could be setuped.. "_" should work as
well. At least optionally.

Thanks for the responses so far!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If I double-click in a cell I'm not already editing, I get the
blinking cursor at the position of the double-click. If I'm already
editing the cell, I highlight the entire word.

So if you want to edit the "suffix" part of "attribute1_suffix1,"
double-click just before the "s" in "suffix," holding down the mouse
button after the second click, and drag across "suffix." This will
highlight only that portion of the text, allowing you to quickly edit
it.

Sorry, I know of no way to add other delimiters that would constrain
highlighting in an area of text. But because I use the technique I
describe above, that's of no consequence to me. I can quickly
highlight any portion of text I need to edit, obviating the need for
other delimiters.

Mark Lincoln

On Jun 27, 5:48 am, ewerybody
wrote:
WoooW!! Thanks so much for the wordy response!!! :]
much appreciated!

Pardon me this is not in VBA! I really mean basic editing in excel cells.

And you are right:
doubleclicking words with "_" commonly selects the whole word.
Not here in the browser. Not in my instant messager. But seems it does
everywhere else.

Nevertheless Excel ignores every other common delimiters like /\(){}[],;"

Know how to setup those? And if these could be setuped.. "_" should work as
well. At least optionally.

Thanks for the responses so far!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

So if you want to edit the "suffix" part of "attribute1_suffix1,"
double-click just before the "s" in "suffix," holding down the mouse
button after the second click, and drag across "suffix." This will
highlight only that portion of the text, allowing you to quickly edit
it.

Thats what I do so far. I mean I have no other option. But thats really not
very comfortable.

I think a such comprehensive Editor like Excel should be able to have custom
delimiters setuped.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

So if you want to edit the "suffix" part of "attribute1_suffix1,"
double-click just before the "s" in "suffix," holding down the mouse
button after the second click, and drag across "suffix." This will
highlight only that portion of the text, allowing you to quickly edit
it.

Thats what I do so far. I mean I have no other option. But thats really
not
very comfortable.

Although I assumed you were working in the VBA editor for my "lengthy"
response earlier, the spreadsheet side of Excel has a good find and replace
function available, so you might still be able to make use of the idea I
presented in that earlier posting.

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yea thanks! I will try that as well.
But I recently got a little disappointed by these excel functions:
I only tried to search for a phrase that was standing next to (!!!) the Find
and Replace-popup. Excel continued to tell me it wasn't able to find it until
I set Search from the current page to in whole spreadsheet. (In a single
table spreadsheet!!)

Again thanks a lot for all your input!! :]