Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Day & date shading

Column A has dates; Column B has days of the week which come from
Column A. In other words, in B1 it says "=A1" and is formatted to
give me the day instead of the date.

How can I use conditional formatting to shade B1 gray based on the
DAY, not the date, that shows up if it is a weekend?

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Format/ Conditional Formatting/ Formula is/ =WEEKDAY(B1,2)=6
and set your grey shading.
--
David Biddulph

"michaelberrier" wrote in message
ups.com...
Column A has dates; Column B has days of the week which come from
Column A. In other words, in B1 it says "=A1" and is formatted to
give me the day instead of the date.

How can I use conditional formatting to shade B1 gray based on the
DAY, not the date, that shows up if it is a weekend?

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A couple of ways and here's one.

Select your cell

format|conditional formatting|cell value is| equal to

="Sat"

set your colour

and add a second condition for Sun

Mike

"michaelberrier" wrote:

Column A has dates; Column B has days of the week which come from
Column A. In other words, in B1 it says "=A1" and is formatted to
give me the day instead of the date.

How can I use conditional formatting to shade B1 gray based on the
DAY, not the date, that shows up if it is a weekend?

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Have you tried that idea, Mike?

It would work if the cell contents were text values of "Sat" and "Sun", but
they're not. They are dates formatted as day.
If instead of =A1 formatted as day, B1 had contained the formula
=TEXT(A1,"ddd"), then your idea would have worked, but that isn't what the
OP has.

Hence the suggestion of the "Formula is" option using WEEKDAY.
--
David Biddulph