Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Row Shading

I am tracking RMA's. I have a spreadsheet wher I enter customers
name,product being returned, opened, closed, date, etc.
When I mark an "x" in the cell marked open I want the entire row to shade in
one color. When I mark "x" in the cell marked closed I want the row to
change color.
How do I accomplish this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

conditional formatting.

select the rows you're interested in. for this option i'm going to do
it on row 1

the active cell is in box A1

format-conditional formatting

Change the first dropdown to be a formula
=$a1="X"
then choose format and choose a pattern

add a new rule
make it a formula once more
=$B1="X"
then choose format and choose a pattern again

press ok

copy the whole row. highlight the rows you want to apply this
formatting to and choose "paste special-formats"

This assumes that the flags for open and closed appear in cells A1 and
B1

you can do this conditional formatting for the entire region at once
but you hvae to keep track of where your active cell is. If you're
unfamiliar with conditional formatting it's often easiest to get it
working for one row then copy that formatting to the whole range

--
MDubbelboer
MDubbelboer's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36330