Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default autorecovery save is hanging up excel for minutes

When working on a small sheet (a couple thousand rows) every time the
autorecovery in Excel 2007 kicks in, it hangs up excel for up to a few
mintues. The rest of my programs continue to work fine. Any ideas? I have
tried closing all other programs and get the same effect. We are preparing
to roll this out to a large law firm. they will not be happy about needing to
wait every few minutes for autorecover, but they also need it kept turned on
because they lose stuff and dont save all the time. I already know how to
turn autorecover off but am trying to avoid that.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Victor

Do you realize that AutoRecovery just saves a temporary backup which is deleted
if the workbook and Excel are closed normally?

Only if Excel crashes does the autorecover present the user with a recovery
option.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 07:49:00 -0700, Victor
wrote:

When working on a small sheet (a couple thousand rows) every time the
autorecovery in Excel 2007 kicks in, it hangs up excel for up to a few
mintues. The rest of my programs continue to work fine. Any ideas? I have
tried closing all other programs and get the same effect. We are preparing
to roll this out to a large law firm. they will not be happy about needing to
wait every few minutes for autorecover, but they also need it kept turned on
because they lose stuff and dont save all the time. I already know how to
turn autorecover off but am trying to avoid that.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Does this happen just on your pc or does it happen on another pc when that
person uses the workbook?

If it's just your pc, how about a silly guess?

Clean up your windows temp folder.

Close excel
windows start button|Run
%temp%
is a quick way to get there.

And here are a couple of sites that discuss slow performance. The first is by
Charles Williams and the second by David McRitchie:

http://www.decisionmodels.com
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/slowresp.htm

(I don't recall that they address your specific problem, though--but it can't
hurt (too much!) to review them.)

If you find the solution, please post back so google will know.

Victor wrote:

When working on a small sheet (a couple thousand rows) every time the
autorecovery in Excel 2007 kicks in, it hangs up excel for up to a few
mintues. The rest of my programs continue to work fine. Any ideas? I have
tried closing all other programs and get the same effect. We are preparing
to roll this out to a large law firm. they will not be happy about needing to
wait every few minutes for autorecover, but they also need it kept turned on
because they lose stuff and dont save all the time. I already know how to
turn autorecover off but am trying to avoid that.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
AA AA is offline

Victor

Did you find a resolution to this problem. I am having the same trouble too
and want to know what you did if you resolved it.