Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Merging/Consolidating data?

My accounts package produces listings in form of CSV files. Typically the
listings are dates and (invoice)values. The dates are in order but non
sequential -in otherwords there are gaps. Some dates are repeated (think
'date, invoice value' where theres more then one invoice per day)

I regularly need to merge/consolidate two/more such listings into one so
that I end up with a dates list (without repeats) and value being the sum of
all invoice values for the (unique) dates referenced.

Note the dates and values differ from list to list but the dates are ordered
as above (increasing).
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Peter

take a look at the dataConsolidate function. It will do this for you.
On a new sheet, Highlight columns A and B.
DataConsolidatePoint to the range you want to consolidate using the
icon at the end of the Reference PaneAdd and repeat for as many ranges
as you wish.
Tick Use labels in Left ColumnOK

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"PeterC" wrote in message
My accounts package produces listings in form of CSV files. Typically
the
listings are dates and (invoice)values. The dates are in order but non
sequential -in otherwords there are gaps. Some dates are repeated
(think
'date, invoice value' where theres more then one invoice per day)

I regularly need to merge/consolidate two/more such listings into one
so
that I end up with a dates list (without repeats) and value being the
sum of
all invoice values for the (unique) dates referenced.

Note the dates and values differ from list to list but the dates are
ordered
as above (increasing).

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Many thanks Roger. Dim brain on my part.

On closer inspection I notice the date columns have at times been
mis-converted/interpreted on import leading to 11/05 being 05/11 etc with the
result the totals didn't tally.

I am using Excel 2003 and the default import options on convertions -a
closer look at this side of the house needed.

Many thanks
PeterC