Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default file not found ...\local~\temp\vb514.tmp

Hello,

This is driving me crazy. When I try to create a copy of a worksheet I get
the following error: c:\...\local~\temp\vb514.tmp. If I then turn off
"ignore other applications" I can do the copy. But the very next time I try
a worksheet copy the same error occurs. If I then toggle "ignore other
applications" ON, it solves it. So, it seems all I need to do is toggle.

The spreadsheet I copy has macros in it. If I cleanse the workbook of
macros by saving as .xml, then rename as .xls, the problem is solved. But as
soon as I add macros the problem comes back. Even if I don't add back
macros, but simply have the VB editor open, the problem occurs. I also get
prompted to enter the password for "funcres", which I have no idea what is.

The problem occurs on other machines with the same spreadsheet. I deleted
all my temp files but no luck. Seems to be only with this spreadsheet. The
spreadsheet was created in 2003. I am using Excel 2003.

Thanks for your help,
Nathan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Because in the course of researching how to resolve the problem, someone
suggested turning this on. I then realized that just toggling this on and
off solves the problem for one iteration. So, it seems related. Thanks.

"nathan" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Saved from a previous post:

Add some controls to a worksheet from the control toolbox toolbar and you'll see
some .tmp files in the %temp% folder. But I've never seen excel put them in any
other location.

If those .tmp files look like: ...\VB*.tmp

I searched google again for "\vb" and .tmp and got a few hits.

One of them:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mic...1eecaad1c774cc
or
http://snipurl.com/1339g

One person posted that they saw files that had names like: ~RF26c83af.TMP.

It was caused by AVG.

You can read her description in this thread:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mic...cd4eed0638e395

or
http://snipurl.com/jyus

A while ago, someone posted back that uninstalling something called "Panda
ClientShield" fixed a similar problem.

Even if you're not running "Panda ClientShield", you could try disabling this
program to see if the problem goes away.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well, I have new information. The .xls file that I am using which the this
error comes from resides on a network drive. The error message says it can't
find the \vb*.tmp file on my local c: drive. After the error, a \vb*.tmp
file is created in the root directory of the network drive of where the .xls
file resides. Our network admin has been deleting them for weeks not knowing
where they came from. Now, if I move the .xls file to my local c: drive and
open it from there, I don't have the problem.

So, it seems when the file is on the network drive, it is searching for the
vb*.tmp file on the local drive, but can't find it because it has written it
to the network drive?? Not sure how all this .tmp file writting works, but
seems like a clue.