Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Problem with alternating table rows

I have created a table and applied a table style with alternating banded
rows. When I convert it to a range in order to use the subtotals feature, the
banding does not alternate anymore. In addition, when I convert the range
back to a table and try to reaply the banded rows format, nothing happens. I
also tried reapplying the entire table style, but again without success.

Is there any way to restore the correct banded row order? It looks to me
like the row colors were converted to permanent highlighted rows when the
table was converted to a normal range.

Thanks for any help.

Linda
--
Linda
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You might try creating your color banding by utilizing Conditional
Formatting.
That way, rows are colored solely dependent on their row number.

Select the cells to be included in the banding, say A1 to J100.
Then:
<Format <Conditional Format

Change "Cell Value Is" to "Formula Is", then enter:

=MOD(ROW(),2)=0

Click on "Format", and choose your Pattern color for the rows, then
<OK <OK

The above formula colors the *even* rows within the selection.

To color the *odd* numbered rows, use:

=MOD(ROW(),2)=1

OR
To color every 3 rows, try:

=MOD(ROW(),3)=0

You'll see that this banding will withstand the restructuring of your data.

--
HTH,

RD

"Linda" wrote in message
I have created a table and applied a table style with alternating banded
rows. When I convert it to a range in order to use the subtotals feature,

the
banding does not alternate anymore. In addition, when I convert the range
back to a table and try to reaply the banded rows format, nothing happens.

also tried reapplying the entire table style, but again without success.

Is there any way to restore the correct banded row order? It looks to me
like the row colors were converted to permanent highlighted rows when the
table was converted to a normal range.

Thanks for any help.

Linda
--
Linda

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes, I have been reaading in other messages about doing that. However, I was
hoping there was a solution to restoring the correct alternating pattern that
was applied using the table style (I am using Excel 2007). Seems as if once
the range is converted back to a table, that you should be able to at least
reapply the design style and get it back to the correct alternating pattern.
I thought maybe there is something wrong with my installation of Excel.

Linda
--
Linda