Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Remove addins

Hi everyone,
My friend was working on an Excel file that was so slow (excel 2003) I
noticed it has many addins so I used tools \ addins and unchecked all those
addins and saved the file but when we reopened it all thoses addins are
checked again. Any idea why this happenes? how can I remove them permanently
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Addins ssen on the Tools/ Addins menu are not a feature of the Excel file,
but of your Excel installation. A file may or may not try to use particular
addins, but the presence in your Excel installation of addins which aren't
used by the file won't affect the file's size. Conversely, if the file
tries to use an addin and you've uninstalled it the file won't work.
--
David Biddulph

"Harvey" wrote in message
Hi everyone,
My friend was working on an Excel file that was so slow (excel 2003) I
noticed it has many addins so I used tools \ addins and unchecked all
those
addins and saved the file but when we reopened it all thoses addins are
checked again. Any idea why this happenes? how can I remove them
permanently
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi David,
These addins are third part add ins and we dont need them . my question is
how can permanently uncheck those addins .
Thanks again:)

"Harvey" wrote in message
Hi everyone,
My friend was working on an Excel file that was so slow (excel 2003) I
noticed it has many addins so I used tools \ addins and unchecked all
those
addins and saved the file but when we reopened it all thoses addins are
checked again. Any idea why this happenes? how can I remove them
permanently
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Uncheck the add-ins then Close Excel out..............saving and closing the
file does nothing as far as add-ins go.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Harvey" wrote in message
Hi everyone,
My friend was working on an Excel file that was so slow (excel 2003) I
noticed it has many addins so I used tools \ addins and unchecked all
those
addins and saved the file but when we reopened it all thoses addins are
checked again. Any idea why this happenes? how can I remove them
permanently
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Gord,
I did uncheck the add ins and closed the excel but next time we opened it
all the addins were checked again!!
thanks:)

"Harvey" wrote in message
Hi everyone,
My friend was working on an Excel file that was so slow (excel 2003) I
noticed it has many addins so I used tools \ addins and unchecked all
those
addins and saved the file but when we reopened it all thoses addins are
checked again. Any idea why this happenes? how can I remove them
permanently
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Which add-ins are they?

I suspect the third-party placed those into your XLSTART folder, Visio does for
one, PDFMaker is another I believe.

Check your XLSTART folder for add-ins.

Also search for *.xla files on your computer and see where those are installed.

Gord

"Harvey" wrote in message
Hi everyone,
My friend was working on an Excel file that was so slow (excel 2003) I
noticed it has many addins so I used tools \ addins and unchecked all
those
addins and saved the file but when we reopened it all thoses addins are
checked again. Any idea why this happenes? how can I remove them
permanently
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Gord,
Thirs party financial addins XLstart is empty but there are many *.xla files
.. Can I just delete them without any problem?
Thanks:)

"Harvey" wrote in message
Hi everyone,
My friend was working on an Excel file that was so slow (excel 2003) I
noticed it has many addins so I used tools \ addins and unchecked all
those
addins and saved the file but when we reopened it all thoses addins are
checked again. Any idea why this happenes? how can I remove them
permanently
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Do you mean you have many *.xla files in your XLSTART folder?

These should be moved elsewhere so's they don't load when Excel starts.

Excel's default add-ins are generally installed in the Office\Library folder and
you select the ones you want loaded through ToolsAdd-ins.

Gord

"Harvey" wrote in message
Hi everyone,
My friend was working on an Excel file that was so slow (excel 2003) I
noticed it has many addins so I used tools \ addins and unchecked all
those
addins and saved the file but when we reopened it all thoses addins are
checked again. Any idea why this happenes? how can I remove them
permanently
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No ,XLSTART is empty. Those *.xla files are in different directories but
anytime i start excel they load even if i unchecked them last time I was in
Excel. One addin is in C:\APPS\FACTSET\Analyst and ...

"Harvey" wrote in message
Hi everyone,
My friend was working on an Excel file that was so slow (excel 2003) I
noticed it has many addins so I used tools \ addins and unchecked all
those
addins and saved the file but when we reopened it all thoses addins are
checked again. Any idea why this happenes? how can I remove them
permanently
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Do the native Excel add-ins re-check themselves also?

Or just the third-party application add-ins from different folders?

Just to eliminate one more possible............

ToolsOptionsGeneral. Delete any path you may have in "At startup, open all
files in"

Gord

"Harvey" wrote in message
Hi everyone,
My friend was working on an Excel file that was so slow (excel 2003) I
noticed it has many addins so I used tools \ addins and unchecked all
those
addins and saved the file but when we reopened it all thoses addins are
checked again. Any idea why this happenes? how can I remove them
permanently
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Gord ,
At startup you said was already empty. I can uncheck native Excel addins but
not the third part add ins . the same thing happens for word we have a few
addins that even if we uncheck still it will be checked next time we enter
word.
Thanks:
Maybe IT has a function that adds those addins automatically im not sure.

"Harvey" wrote in message
Hi everyone,
My friend was working on an Excel file that was so slow (excel 2003) I
noticed it has many addins so I used tools \ addins and unchecked all
those
addins and saved the file but when we reopened it all thoses addins are
checked again. Any idea why this happenes? how can I remove them
permanently
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't have any more guesses.

The third-party applications seem to have a mind of their own and are
over-riding your desired settings.

I would check with your IT person.

Gord

"Harvey" wrote in message
Hi everyone,
My friend was working on an Excel file that was so slow (excel 2003) I
noticed it has many addins so I used tools \ addins and unchecked all
those
addins and saved the file but when we reopened it all thoses addins are
checked again. Any idea why this happenes? how can I remove them
permanently
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm joining the thread late (and some earlier posts have aged off), so I may be
repeating stuff you've already tried...

Excel opens files whenever it starts.

#1. One place these files are specified is under Tools|Addins.

#2. Another spot is in your XLStart folder. (Location varies with versions of
windows and excel, but you can use Windows Start|Find|files & folders to locate
it.) And depending on how you upgraded, you may have multiple XLStart folders.

#3. And it can open files based on entries in the Windows Registry. In xl2003,
the registry key is:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\E xcel\Options
(look for OPEN, OPEN1, OPEN2, etc.)

I think that these have to be in nice consecutive order. So you might have to
rename some to make them consecutive again (after you delete any offending
entries.

And since you're working in the registry, make sure you back it up before you
start. If you're unsure, you might seek help from your ITS department.

"Harvey" wrote in message
Hi everyone,
My friend was working on an Excel file that was so slow (excel 2003) I
noticed it has many addins so I used tools \ addins and unchecked all
those
addins and saved the file but when we reopened it all thoses addins are
checked again. Any idea why this happenes? how can I remove them
permanently
Thanks

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you both you guys for your time :)

#1. One place these files are specified is under Tools|Addins.

#2. Another spot is in your XLStart folder. (Location varies with versions of

#3. And it can open files based on entries in the Windows Registry. In xl2003,
the registry key is: