Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Cell color pattern styles in Excel 2007

In the old Excel version, one could add a drop-down box to the tool bar for
formatting the pattern color and pattern styles of a cel. It looked and
functioned a lot like the "fill color" button.

I can't seem to find its counterpart in the 2007 version -- neither on the
ribbon, or in the available buttons for the toolbar. I used this button
CONSTANTLY! Is it just called something weird now - or did they do away
with this very useful tool?

And if it is no longer available without opening the format dialogue box
every time I want to add a pattern to a cel, might there be a macro that can
create the button for me?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

Right click on CellFormatFilluse dropdown on Pattern Style

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Candida" wrote in message
In the old Excel version, one could add a drop-down box to the tool
bar for
formatting the pattern color and pattern styles of a cel. It looked
and
functioned a lot like the "fill color" button.

I can't seem to find its counterpart in the 2007 version -- neither on
the
ribbon, or in the available buttons for the toolbar. I used this
button
CONSTANTLY! Is it just called something weird now - or did they do
away
with this very useful tool?

And if it is no longer available without opening the format dialogue
box
every time I want to add a pattern to a cel, might there be a macro
that can
create the button for me?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Candida

Select the cell or range of cells which you wish to format.
Right click with your mouse which brings up a context dialogue box.
Select FormatFill and use the dropdown on Pattern Style to see a range
of fill patterns.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Candida" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sigh... Well, thank you both for your time. But that isn't any faster than
opening the font dialogue box directly. What I was looking for was a button
for the toolbar that I could just tap every time I wanted to fill a cell with
the pattern I'd selected. Is there such a thing? The old Excel had it - but
I can't find it any more.

"Candida" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Candida

You could choose Home tabCell StylesNew cell styles and create a style
for the ones you use most frequently.
They will appear as the top row when you click the dropdown on Cell
Styles.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Candida" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ai yai. That would mean that I'd have a monstrous library of a million
different cell styles.

So the answer is no -- it has been done away with? How shortsighted.
There are buttons for many features that a simple right-click can take care
of (like deleting or adding columns, etc.) how could they not have created
one for something that takes several steps to do - when they had it in the
old excel already?

I'm so frustrated. Is there possibly a macro that could create it? I'm not
knowledgeable enough to write it myself.