Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ck ck is offline

Default Why is this a circular reference?

Try copy and paste this to anywhere in a blank worksheet:

=AND(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(),COLUMN()))0,INDIRECT( ADDRESS(18,COLUMN()))=TRUE)

On my machine, Excel keeps saying this is a circular reference. Can anyone
explain to me why?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi,
guessing here but...
if references are omited from Row() or Column() then excel assumed that
reference is the row or column that the functions appears in which would
create a circular reference. seems that you will need references to distance
the formula from the data.

Regards
FSt1

"CK" wrote:

Try copy and paste this to anywhere in a blank worksheet:

=AND(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(),COLUMN()))0,INDIRECT( ADDRESS(18,COLUMN()))=TRUE)

On my machine, Excel keeps saying this is a circular reference. Can anyone
explain to me why?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This part of the formula creates the circular reference:

INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(),COLUMN()))0

It refers to the cell that the formula is in thus being a circular
reference.

Biff

"CK" wrote in message
Try copy and paste this to anywhere in a blank worksheet:

=AND(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(),COLUMN()))0,INDIRECT( ADDRESS(18,COLUMN()))=TRUE)

On my machine, Excel keeps saying this is a circular reference. Can anyone
explain to me why?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ck ck is offline

Now I understand. But the interesting thing is, the formula

=INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(),COLUMN()))0

actually works in conditional formatting.

"CK" wrote in message
Try copy and paste this to anywhere in a blank worksheet:

=AND(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(),COLUMN()))0,INDIRECT( ADDRESS(18,COLUMN()))=TRUE)

On my machine, Excel keeps saying this is a circular reference. Can anyone
explain to me why?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're welcome!

Biff