Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Averaging averages

Howdy,

I work at a car dealership and we sell both Hondas and Toyotas. I've done a
survey with my customers who own cars. I did this to find out if people who
own Hondas are more satisfied than people with Toyotas.

I want to "average the averages" below to find out if Honda owners are more
happy than Toyota owners. Here's some sample data:

Honda
Product #votes Average satisfaction grade per vote
Civic 1,211 75%
Accord 811 82%
Del Sol 355 55%
Passport 561 55%

Toyota
Corolla 1,356 88%
Camry 334 36%
Supra 284 36%
Landcrser 5 36%

How would I average the averages? Would I use the SUMPRODUCT formula for
each set? In other words, if the Honda set was in columns A through C, I
would do this, right?

=SUMPRODUCT(C1:C4,B1:B4/SUM(B1:B4))

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't like complicated forumlas like sumproduct. I would create a new
colum, and in it put the product of #votes*avg sat, for each row. Then, I
would sum this for each auto maker, and divide by the total responses. This
would give you the average you seek, and would give you a visual indicator of
which brand is influencing the stat.

"Chip" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The expression "average of an average" is math heresy but your approach isn't
really doing that and is giving the correct answer so lets all go and buy a
Toyota who edge it by a full percentage point

Mike