Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Cell Value dependent upon the same cells value in another workbook

Hi There -

I have two Excel workbooks where one is supposed to be the "source" for
information in another which we will call "target". I would like to be able
to say if the value of the cell is blank in the source it will show up in the
target as N for no and if there is a value in the source cell the
corresponding target cell displays a Y for yes.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Many thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You'll have to replace "Source" with the correct path and name to your
actual "source" WB:

=IF(Source!A1="","N","Y")

--
HTH,

RD

"Jeff" wrote in message
Hi There -

I have two Excel workbooks where one is supposed to be the "source" for
information in another which we will call "target". I would like to be
able
to say if the value of the cell is blank in the source it will show up in
the
target as N for no and if there is a value in the source cell the
corresponding target cell displays a Y for yes.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Many thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One way:

In the target:

A1: =IF([Source.xls]Sheet1!A1="","N","Y")

Copy as needed.

In article ,
Jeff wrote:

Hi There -

I have two Excel workbooks where one is supposed to be the "source" for
information in another which we will call "target". I would like to be able
to say if the value of the cell is blank in the source it will show up in the
target as N for no and if there is a value in the source cell the
corresponding target cell displays a Y for yes.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Many thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Cell Value dependent upon the same cells value in another work

Thanks for the reply.

I am basically trying to do and "IF" statement it seems. So from your IF
statement how does it know to return N if the cell is blank otherwise return
Y if there is a value? Does "" indicate a blank?

"Jeff" wrote in message
Hi There -

I have two Excel workbooks where one is supposed to be the "source" for
information in another which we will call "target". I would like to be
able
to say if the value of the cell is blank in the source it will show up in
the
target as N for no and if there is a value in the source cell the
corresponding target cell displays a Y for yes.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Many thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sorry for so many questions...

I entered the following in the desired cell in the target workbook:

=(WM Mapping!B2=""."N","Y")

Where WM Mapping is the name of the source workbook and B2 references the
cell in that workbook. As soon as I click on the green check I receive an
error message stating the the formula contains an error. Any idea's?

"Jeff" wrote in message
Hi There -

I have two Excel workbooks where one is supposed to be the "source" for
information in another which we will call "target". I would like to be
able
to say if the value of the cell is blank in the source it will show up
in
the
target as N for no and if there is a value in the source cell the
corresponding target cell displays a Y for yes.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Many thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Let XL create the proper path for you.

Open *both* WBs.

Click in the target cell of the target WB and enter an equal sign ( = ).

Navigate to, and click in, the source cell of the source WB, and then hit
<Enter.

This places a link formula in the target cell, with the proper path.

NOW, just build your IF() formula *around* the path that XL made for you in
that target cell.
--
HTH,

RD

"Ragdyer" wrote:

You'll have to replace "Source" with the correct path and name to your
actual "source" WB:

=IF(Source!A1="","N","Y")

--
HTH,

RD

Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may
benefit !
"Jeff" wrote in message
Hi There -

I have two Excel workbooks where one is supposed to be the "source"
for
information in another which we will call "target". I would like to
be
able
to say if the value of the cell is blank in the source it will show
up
in
the
target as N for no and if there is a value in the source cell the
corresponding target cell displays a Y for yes.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Many thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hey...I got it to work!!!! THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This what the end result looks like:

=IF(WMMapping!B2="","N","Y")

Ok, so this is just for one cell in the target workbook column. How do I
get this logic to apply to the entire column based on the entire column of
the source workbook?

"Jeff" wrote in message
Hi There -

I have two Excel workbooks where one is supposed to be the "source" for
information in another which we will call "target". I would like to be
able
to say if the value of the cell is blank in the source it will show up
in
the
target as N for no and if there is a value in the source cell the
corresponding target cell displays a Y for yes.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Many thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You just copy the formula down the column.
XL will *automatically* increment B2 to B3 to B4 ... etc.

Select the cell containing the formula.
Notice a small black square in the lower right corner.
Hover the cursor over that tiny black square in the lower right corner of
that selected cell until the cursor changes from a fat white cross to a
skinny black cross.

Then click, and drag down as far as needed, to copy the formula down the
column.
--
HTH,

RD

!

"Jeff" wrote in message
Hi There -

I have two Excel workbooks where one is supposed to be the
"source" for
information in another which we will call "target". I would like
to be
able
to say if the value of the cell is blank in the source it will
show up
in
the
target as N for no and if there is a value in the source cell the
corresponding target cell displays a Y for yes.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Many thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're welcome, and appreciate the feed-back.

RD

"Jeff" wrote in message
Perfect!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!