Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
No Name

Default Off Set printing

Folks:

On my spreadsheet I would sometimes like to print the row & column headings.
I can do this by going to the PAGE SETUP Sheet Tab check the "Row &
Column headings" Box.

However, because on my actual spreadsheet the first 4 rows are used for
various headings, actual data only starts at row 5.

* Is there a way to start the row numbering, not from the top but from 5
rows down ?

(2) How can I copy & paste a spreadsheet in such a way that all the
column width information is also transferred ?

(3) How do I "un-merge" a group of cells that I have merged ?

Thanks,
Jo.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel.newusers

1) You can't change Excel's row numbers, but you can put your own row
numbers in a new column A

2) To copy an entire spreadsheet including column widths, etc, right-click
the sheet's tab and choose Move or Copy... then select where you want to copy
it

3) Unmerge by selecting the merged cells and using Format-Cells-Alignment
and unchecking the Merge cells checkbox

FWIW - most people here will tell you to avoid merging cells at almost any
cost. It screws up sorting, range selection, column widths, and who knows
what else. On that Alignment tab is an option to center a label over the
selected cells which accomplishes much that merging is used for. Also, text
boxes are a good way to enter big blocks of text on a sheet

"JoJo" wrote:

Folks:

On my spreadsheet I would sometimes like to print the row & column headings.
I can do this by going to the PAGE SETUP Sheet Tab check the "Row &
Column headings" Box.

However, because on my actual spreadsheet the first 4 rows are used for
various headings, actual data only starts at row 5.

* Is there a way to start the row numbering, not from the top but from 5
rows down ?

(2) How can I copy & paste a spreadsheet in such a way that all the
column width information is also transferred ?

(3) How do I "un-merge" a group of cells that I have merged ?

Thanks,
Jo.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

<JoJo wrote in message ...
Folks:

Firstly, don't crosspost to more than TWO or THREE RELEVANT groups - there's
no element of programming in your questions, so why post to
excel.programming?

(excel.programming snipped as being irrelevant...)

On my spreadsheet I would sometimes like to print the row & column
headings.
I can do this by going to the PAGE SETUP Sheet Tab check the "Row
& Column headings" Box.

However, because on my actual spreadsheet the first 4 rows are used for
various headings, actual data only starts at row 5.

* Is there a way to start the row numbering, not from the top but from 5
rows down ?

Not quite sure what you a) mean by this and b) are trying to do.
Have you tried selecting the Print Area to start at row 5?

(2) How can I copy & paste a spreadsheet in such a way that all the
column width information is also transferred ?

Why not do File-Save As?

(3) How do I "un-merge" a group of cells that I have merged ?

the reverse of how you merged them in the first place - Format
cells-Alignment and uncheck the "Merge" box.....

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Just to add to Duke's excellent response on doing a sheet copy

for the column widths, you can also
1) copy the entire column and paste it
or
2) after pasting, immediatly do Edit=Paste Special and choose column widths
or
3) If you are copying all the information but don't want to copy the sheet,
then click in the upper left corner of the worksheet in the blank grey square
at the intersection of the row and column headers to select all the cells in
the sheet. Then copy that. When you paste in A1 of a new sheet, it will
bring the row heights and column widths as well.

The bottom line is that the column width is the property of the entire
column rather than an subset of cells in the column.

Tom Ogilvy