Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Pivot table grand total options

Hi,
This is a simplified version of my question, but the same principles apply.
I have an employee data set, and each employee belongs to 1 of 2 Departments
(say, A and B) and also 1 of 2 Regions (say, East and West). In the layout
section of the pivot table, I have Department as my first Row selection, and
Region as my second Row selection. And then my Data is the count of
employees. The Total only shows the Grand Total - is it possible for it to
show the sub-totals for each Region as well as the Grand Total?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Graeme

Double click on Region and set Subtotal to Automatic.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Graeme" wrote in message
This is a simplified version of my question, but the same principles
apply.
I have an employee data set, and each employee belongs to 1 of 2
Departments
(say, A and B) and also 1 of 2 Regions (say, East and West). In the
layout
section of the pivot table, I have Department as my first Row
selection, and
Region as my second Row selection. And then my Data is the count of
employees. The Total only shows the Grand Total - is it possible for
it to
show the sub-totals for each Region as well as the Grand Total?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Roger,
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I checked the Subtotal setting, and
unfortunately, it is already set to Automatic. Do you have any alternative
suggestions?

"Graeme" wrote in message
This is a simplified version of my question, but the same principles
apply.
I have an employee data set, and each employee belongs to 1 of 2
Departments
(say, A and B) and also 1 of 2 Regions (say, East and West). In the
layout
section of the pivot table, I have Department as my first Row
selection, and
Region as my second Row selection. And then my Data is the count of
employees. The Total only shows the Grand Total - is it possible for
it to
show the sub-totals for each Region as well as the Grand Total?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Graeme

Move Region to before Department, then you will get a subtotal by
Region.

If you are needing totals be Department and Region, you will have to
drag one of them to the Column area, then the Grand total by rows and
the Grand Total by columns will give you your totals by each category.

--
Regards

Roger Govier