Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to avoid multiple IF's by LOOKUP's?

Hello every1,

The actual situation is quite a detailed and complex one but lets start with
a simple example:

The "sheet 1" is to be filled up with several columns like:
A B C D E
1 Case Limit Maturity-Date Balance Error
2 abc 100 12/12/2001 80 Maturity date has passed
3 def 3000 12/12/2009 4000 Account Balance is
exceeding the limit
4 ghi 5000 12/12/2008 -200 Amount is negative

"Sheet 2" has a list like:
A B
1 Error Code Message
2 1 Account Balance is exceeding the limit
3 2 Maturity date has passed
4 3 Amount is negative

I want the column E of Sheet 1 to search out the error code automatically
from Sheet 2 and return the message present in the corresponding cell in
column B.

Actually there are several multiple error checks that I want to set out but
typing out a lengthy formula of IF's is nearly impossible and risky.
Conditional formating shall also only highlight the cell but not displaying
the message and also involves the same problem of lengthy formula.

Any way out, PREFERABLY a lookup sort of formula for its applicability upon
all the the computer without lowering the macro security level, otherwise
even a macro shall be gratefully accepted! All your advices shall be valuable.

Thanx in advance,

FARAZ!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Why have you posted this 3 times in the space of a few hours? Do you
not like the answer that Bob Phillips gave to your first posting, or
have you not even read it?

Pete

On Jun 7, 10:33 am, FARAZ QURESHI
wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am sorry Pete but there seemed to be some problem with my net and probably
the page was not refreshing. I thought that my question had not be posted due
some problem.

Once again I am sorry and beg your pardon.

Faraz!