Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default conditional formatting one cell based on content of another cell

Is there a way to make the text in one cell change color based on the value
of another cell. i.e. I would like the column heading to turn red if the
value at the bottom of the column is below a certain number. I tried to use
cond. formatting but it seems to only work on the cell itself (i.e. the value
will turn red, but no other cell). Is there a way to do this? Thanks!
Excel 2003 SP2
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Chris,

Debra Dalgleish has a lot of good stuff on conditional formatting, including based on
another cell. www.contextures.com.

I'll add this. Everyone seems to neglect it. When you use a formula in conditional
formatting, it applies to the active (white) cell of your selection. If you're dragging to
select more than one cell, it's possible that it won't be the first cell, depending on the
direction you drag. The formula gets copied into the other cells, and the cell references
are changed (unless absolute) as with copying any cell. So it matters.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

Note: Some folks prefer bottom-posting.
But if you bottom-post to a reply that's
already top-posted, the thread gets messy.
When in Rome...
"Chris Adolph" wrote in message
Is there a way to make the text in one cell change color based on the value
of another cell. i.e. I would like the column heading to turn red if the
value at the bottom of the column is below a certain number. I tried to use
cond. formatting but it seems to only work on the cell itself (i.e. the value
will turn red, but no other cell). Is there a way to do this? Thanks!
Excel 2003 SP2

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Your question was answered on the basis on one cell because
that is how you asked the question. But normally you want to
color the cells in the entire column based on the value in another
cell in the same row. So you would more likely have a
formula with the $ in front of only the column and not the row.

You selection determines which cells will be colored and the
formula you enter in C.F. would apply as if entered into the
active cell -- all cells tested are tested with formulas relative
to their location relative to the active cell. So a formula like
=$G33 with A3 or any other cell on row 3 selected would be using
the same formula for ALL selected cells on row 3.
Conditional Formatting
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/condfmt.htm

--
HTH,
David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Don Guillett" wrote in message ...
formatconditionalformatselecect the formula is in left window

=$G$33

& format as desired.

--
Don Guillett