Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Conditional formatting formula that uses VLookup, based on content of another cell

I have a software order sheet that has, in column B, a validation list,
comprising 2 entries, a blank entry and a specific software product
(Product X). That way the users can enter their own software product or
select Product X.

Column E (the monthly rate cell) has been left blank for the user to
enter their own rate, but I am trying to get the Conditional Formatting
to populate the cell with a value if Product X has been selected in
column B.

I have entered the following formula in the Conditional formatting but
get nothing in the monthly rate cell when Product X is selected.

=IF(B8="Product X",VLOOKUP(B8,Software_Rate,2,False),0)

I have tried out the formula "stand-alone" and it works perfectly

I am using the VLookup as the software selection list is certain to
grow.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

Regards
Fred

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Conditional formatting formula that uses VLookup, based on content

Conditional formatting just does formatting, it cannot set values, so it may
not be the tool to use for what you want.

Miguel.

"Fred" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I finally bit the bullet and coded a Worksheet_SelectionChange routine
to do it for me.

Thanks for your help

Regards
Fred