Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default date auto correct

I have two problems with regards to date auto correct:
1) when i enter 4/6 - ie 4 June as i want ddmmyyyy - it automatically
changes to 06-Apr when i actually want 04-Jun. I have looked through all the
options i can find and changed defaults to yyyymmdd (although i would like is
at ddmmyyy, but that is not an option on the list).
2) secondly i sometimes need to have a cell that says 3/4 or 1/2 without it
automatically chaging this to a date. how do i switch this off?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

It sounds as though your Regional Setting are set to US rather than UK
Control PanelRegional SettingsChoose UK

AS for the second part of your question, either pre-format the cell as
Text before entering 3/4 or place a single quote in front of the entry
'3/4. The quote won't show up in the cell, but it will force the entry
to be text.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"m.beebee" wrote in message
I have two problems with regards to date auto correct:
1) when i enter 4/6 - ie 4 June as i want ddmmyyyy - it automatically
changes to 06-Apr when i actually want 04-Jun. I have looked through
all the
options i can find and changed defaults to yyyymmdd (although i would
like is
at ddmmyyy, but that is not an option on the list).
2) secondly i sometimes need to have a cell that says 3/4 or 1/2
without it
automatically chaging this to a date. how do i switch this off?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

I think you might need to go to control panel and check the regional
settings are set to the UK date format

when typing 1/2 what do you mean, a half or 1 out of two? the best thing is
to put a ' before it when you type it

"m.beebee" wrote:

I have two problems with regards to date auto correct:
1) when i enter 4/6 - ie 4 June as i want ddmmyyyy - it automatically
changes to 06-Apr when i actually want 04-Jun. I have looked through all the
options i can find and changed defaults to yyyymmdd (although i would like is
at ddmmyyy, but that is not an option on the list).
2) secondly i sometimes need to have a cell that says 3/4 or 1/2 without it
automatically chaging this to a date. how do i switch this off?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks. I had it set on English-South Africa, and everyone i know here uses
the UK date format, so i assumed that excel would be the same.

yeah, i found that if i put a letter infront then it is cool.
What i have is a column that says - 'K-rating' and then it will either be a
number such as 1, 2, 3, 4, etc
or it will be 1/2, 2/3, 3/4. Problem is it automatically changes those into
a date.
so I now just put in K2/3 or K3/4

but thanks for your input. much appreciated.

"m.beebee" wrote in message
I have two problems with regards to date auto correct:
1) when i enter 4/6 - ie 4 June as i want ddmmyyyy - it automatically
changes to 06-Apr when i actually want 04-Jun. I have looked through
all the
options i can find and changed defaults to yyyymmdd (although i would
like is
at ddmmyyy, but that is not an option on the list).
2) secondly i sometimes need to have a cell that says 3/4 or 1/2
without it
automatically chaging this to a date. how do i switch this off?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks a mil. I have it set on English South Africa. we use the same date
format here.
wrt the other item, the column needs to have

either a number 1 - 5, text or 1/2 or 3/4 or 4/5 or 2/3 you get the idea.
It is used as a rating - so i just put a K infront of it.

"m.beebee" wrote:

I have two problems with regards to date auto correct:
1) when i enter 4/6 - ie 4 June as i want ddmmyyyy - it automatically
changes to 06-Apr when i actually want 04-Jun. I have looked through all the
options i can find and changed defaults to yyyymmdd (although i would like is
at ddmmyyy, but that is not an option on the list).
2) secondly i sometimes need to have a cell that says 3/4 or 1/2 without it
automatically chaging this to a date. how do i switch this off?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Format the cell as fraction (up to 1 digit), or custom # ?/?
--
David Biddulph