Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default List menu question

So I've created a list of products. I'd like to be able to start typing in
the name of the product, and the list automatically go down to where that
product is located on the list.

Currently, if you click in the cell that contains the list, you're able to
type the product name, but it's entering the name as if you were trying to
enter the name in the cell, and not select it from the drop-down menu. Once
you hit "enter", it says the value is invalid.

Know any way to type to be able to scroll down the menu?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Jun 1, 4:10 pm, Becky wrote:
So I've created a list of products. I'd like to be able to start typing in
the name of the product, and the list automatically go down to where that
product is located on the list.

Currently, if you click in the cell that contains the list, you're able to
type the product name, but it's entering the name as if you were trying to
enter the name in the cell, and not select it from the drop-down menu. Once
you hit "enter", it says the value is invalid.

Know any way to type to be able to scroll down the menu?

I don;t think this can be done from Excel, even with VBA. Would you
settle for a user form with the same behavior?

HTH
Kostis Vezerides

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Jun 1, 4:36 pm, Becky wrote:
What do you mean by "user form"?

"vezerid" wrote:
On Jun 1, 4:10 pm, Becky wrote:
So I've created a list of products. I'd like to be able to start typing in
the name of the product, and the list automatically go down to where that
product is located on the list.

Currently, if you click in the cell that contains the list, you're able to
type the product name, but it's entering the name as if you were trying to
enter the name in the cell, and not select it from the drop-down menu. Once
you hit "enter", it says the value is invalid.

Know any way to type to be able to scroll down the menu?

I don;t think this can be done from Excel, even with VBA. Would you
settle for a user form with the same behavior?

HTH
Kostis Vezerides

I mean that you will not be typing the name in an Excel cell but a
form (like the menu dialog boxes) will be up and you will be typing
there. As you type you will see the Excel selection change on the
grid. Is this something you could live with?

Kostis

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Becky

You can only do that with a Combo box, not with Data Validation.
There is a sample workaround to type a single letter e.g. V and have the
list jump to that section, then scroll from there.
You will find a downloadable example file at
http://www.contextures.com/excelfiles.html#DataVal
--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Becky" wrote in message
So I've created a list of products. I'd like to be able to start
typing in
the name of the product, and the list automatically go down to where
that
product is located on the list.

Currently, if you click in the cell that contains the list, you're
able to
type the product name, but it's entering the name as if you were
trying to
enter the name in the cell, and not select it from the drop-down menu.
Once
you hit "enter", it says the value is invalid.

Know any way to type to be able to scroll down the menu?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yeah, how do I do that, though?

"vezerid" wrote:

On Jun 1, 4:36 pm, Becky wrote:
What do you mean by "user form"?

"vezerid" wrote:
On Jun 1, 4:10 pm, Becky wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Becky

If you want to go the Combo box route as opposed to sticking with Data
Validation, then Debra has info on doing this at
including a downloadable sample file.

--
Regards

Roger Govier