Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default drop down box

I am trying to have a drop box on a cell, so I can insert several names and
pick up whichever one I want

e.g
A. PRO-KING
B. PRO-QUEEN
C. ALISTAIR
D. NORMAN
E. ETC

I NEED ALL THIS TO SHOW IN A CELL AND I WILL NOW PICK THE ONE I NEED INSTEAD
OF HAVING TO TYPE THEM OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

ANY HELP, PLEASE

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Put the things you want in a column near where you are wanting to put your
drop down box if you can. It doesn't matter b/c you can always hide this
data. e.g
A. PRO-KING
B. PRO-QUEEN
C. ALISTAIR
D. NORMAN
E. ETC

now go to Data up in the toolbar, go to validation, then in the drop down
box select List. Click the box next to the cells that allows you to select
cells manually and highlight all the data you want to list. Then click OK.
you can change some other settings in there but that will allow you to have a
drop down list. If you can figure out how to make the arrow stay up there
always so people know there is a drop down i would love to know. Please
email me at

"oasalako1" wrote:

I am trying to have a drop box on a cell, so I can insert several names and
pick up whichever one I want

e.g
A. PRO-KING
B. PRO-QUEEN
C. ALISTAIR
D. NORMAN
E. ETC

I NEED ALL THIS TO SHOW IN A CELL AND I WILL NOW PICK THE ONE I NEED INSTEAD
OF HAVING TO TYPE THEM OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

ANY HELP, PLEASE

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

See the coverage of Data Validation at this website:

Is that something you can work with?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"oasalako1" wrote:

I am trying to have a drop box on a cell, so I can insert several names and
pick up whichever one I want

e.g
A. PRO-KING
B. PRO-QUEEN
C. ALISTAIR
D. NORMAN
E. ETC

I NEED ALL THIS TO SHOW IN A CELL AND I WILL NOW PICK THE ONE I NEED INSTEAD
OF HAVING TO TYPE THEM OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

ANY HELP, PLEASE

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Look at Data= Validation

Create your list

in Data Validation:

Allow: List

Source: your list e.g A1:A10

If you want the list to be on a different sheet to the entry cell, then make
the list a named range (InsertName=Define= ....) and then in DV set the
Source: '=listname' (without the 's & where listname is your named range)

HTH