Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Referencing a Drop-Down List

Hi,

I have a worksheet that I am using to summarize information from another tab
in the same workbook (file). I need to display the contents from a drop-down
list (i.e. what ever value has been selected from the list) from the main tab
in the summary tab. However, when I use the standard =(maintab)'cell
reference formula, the cell gives me a #VALUE error mssage. How can I solve
this?

Appreciate any help.

Rubble

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Not sure what you mean. I am ponting to the cell that has the dropdown list
(in my case J59). It's what's selected in that cell that I want to appear in
the summary tab. Thanks.
--
Rubble

"Toppers" wrote:

Or is it your formula:

=maintab!A1

"Rubble" wrote:

Hi,

I have a worksheet that I am using to summarize information from another tab
in the same workbook (file). I need to display the contents from a drop-down
list (i.e. what ever value has been selected from the list) from the main tab
in the summary tab. However, when I use the standard =(maintab)'cell
reference formula, the cell gives me a #VALUE error mssage. How can I solve
this?

Appreciate any help.

Rubble

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=Sheet1!J59

will work (change 'sheet1' to your sheet with the DV) and I can't see why
you would get a #VALUE error from a simple assignment.

(I am Excel 2003)

Are you simply retrieving the value or is part of a formula e.g.

=Sheet1!J9*D1

"Rubble" wrote:

Hi,

I have a worksheet that I am using to summarize information from another tab
in the same workbook (file). I need to display the contents from a drop-down
list (i.e. what ever value has been selected from the list) from the main tab
in the summary tab. However, when I use the standard =(maintab)'cell
reference formula, the cell gives me a #VALUE error mssage. How can I solve
this?

Appreciate any help.

Rubble

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks - your answer got me to go back and look at the formula one more time.
I originally created the link by typing "=", going to the other tab and
clicking on the apprpriate cell, then hitting the enter key. What I was not
picking up (someone else created the spreadsheet in the first place) was that
the dropdown list actually is across merged cells. When I looked more
closely at the reference formula, I realized the formula included the merged
cell range. Once I eliminated the range, leaving only the first cell in the
series, all was fine.

The perils of working first thing in the morning with no caffeine. Now that
I have have had coffee, all is fine.

Thanks for your quick assistance.
--
Rubble