Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Creating Dynamic Spreadsheets

Good day, appreciate any assistance that you can provide. I am working on a
finle which consists of 8 tabs representing business units. I would like to
create separe files representing each business unit to send to the managers.
I would like whatever data the managers input be reflected on the
corresponding sheet in the main file. Appreciate it if anyone could tell me
how to link the files and make the changes interactive.
--
Django
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Strictly speaking creating this kind of link spreadsheet system is not best
practice because it lacks data audit control. when the result changes you
will have no idea why etc etc.

My suggestion would be to create the whole thing, which I think you've done.
then create copys for the managers as stand alone templates v0.1.

when they send you back a completed template copy the entire sheets contents
over the older version, and mark them as v0.2 where approriate.

Keep saving the whole thing too as different versions and you will have
yourself a nice audit trail

In the words of a man who knew, external links are bad practice full stop

"Django" wrote:

Good day, appreciate any assistance that you can provide. I am working on a
finle which consists of 8 tabs representing business units. I would like to
create separe files representing each business unit to send to the managers.
I would like whatever data the managers input be reflected on the
corresponding sheet in the main file. Appreciate it if anyone could tell me
how to link the files and make the changes interactive.
--
Django

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks, but I was trying to get out of the cut and paste business. my plan is
that after a cut off date they cannot make any changes. Also, they only have
access to their own data.
--
Django

"Django" wrote:

Good day, appreciate any assistance that you can provide. I am working on a
finle which consists of 8 tabs representing business units. I would like to
create separe files representing each business unit to send to the managers.
I would like whatever data the managers input be reflected on the
corresponding sheet in the main file. Appreciate it if anyone could tell me
how to link the files and make the changes interactive.
--
Django

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In that case, just create "twin" sheets, where the ones inside your analysis
file draw everything verbatim from the corresponding file outside

Create the copy of the sheet eg sheet1 outside your file, and save it eg
busUnit1

In the sheet1 inside your analysis file, in a cell which has a value
entered, type = and navigate to the same cell in the sheet1 in the file you
just created

Now, this link is absolute, with $'s, remove these, then CTRL c to copy it

Heres the trick, go Edit-Goto-SPecial and select Constants. This will
select every entry within your sheet1 which is not a total.

Now Edit-Paste Special-Formula

now all of your sheet1 inside your analysis is driven by it's sister sheet
outside

cheers