Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Pivot Table - Filtering Data Field

Excel 2003 - SP2
When I filter the data field Excel removes all the other data headings in
the filter dialog box but those I kept so I can not filter back to those
other headings. This does not happen for all the other fields I have tried -
row and column. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Mark

That is the way the PT works with Data.
Row fields and Column fields you are actually choosing to Filter by.
In the case of data, you are not filtering, you are selecting whether
you want that field included as a data field or not.
Once de-selected, you need to drag it back in from the field list to the
data area.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Mark" wrote in message
Excel 2003 - SP2
When I filter the data field Excel removes all the other data headings
in
the filter dialog box but those I kept so I can not filter back to
those
other headings. This does not happen for all the other fields I have
tried -
row and column. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Roger. I am new to PT so this information helps. Maybe I can
organize my data differently in PT to get what I want (swap the row and data
fields). Thanks again.

"Mark" wrote in message
Excel 2003 - SP2
When I filter the data field Excel removes all the other data headings
in
the filter dialog box but those I kept so I can not filter back to
those
other headings. This does not happen for all the other fields I have
tried -
row and column. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Mark

Fields in the data area are going to yield the numeric results that you
want, be they Sum, Count Average etc.
So, the fields containing that numeric data will have to be in the data
area.

A field can be added to the Row OR Column OR Page area, it can only be
in any one of these at any time.
But you can also add any filed that has been allocated to one of these
areas ALSO to the Data area.
It sounds as though you need to add them to both Row AND Data, then you
can use the filter on the field in the Row area, without it being
removed from the data area.
--
Regards

Roger Govier