Sanford Lefkowitz

Default extending dates

When I have a date in a cell (say,Jan01) and use the fill handle to drag it
down, by default, it seems to fill with days. If I click the tag next to the
list, I can check 'fill months' to get the list I want.

Can I make 'fill months' the default?

Thanks
Sanford

Jim Rech

Excel assumes an increment of 1 (1 day in this case) if you don't give an
indication of what you want. To do that for months you'd have to enter 1/1
in a cell and 2/1 in the next (month/day). Then select both cells and then
drag the fill handle.

Another way to do what you're doing presently that might be slightly easier
is to drag the fill handle using the right mouse button, and then select the
interval from the popup menu.

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP
| When I have a date in a cell (say,Jan01) and use the fill handle to drag
it
| down, by default, it seems to fill with days. If I click the tag next to
the
| list, I can check 'fill months' to get the list I want.
|
| Can I make 'fill months' the default?
|
| Thanks
| Sanford

Dave Peterson

I'm don't think you can change this.

But you could use a formula and drag that:

=date(year(a1),month(a1)+1,1)

Sanford Lefkowitz wrote:

When I have a date in a cell (say,Jan01) and use the fill handle to drag it
down, by default, it seems to fill with days. If I click the tag next to the
list, I can check 'fill months' to get the list I want.

Can I make 'fill months' the default?

Thanks
Sanford

--

Dave Peterson

How sort dates just by day/month and NOT year if all 3 given in ce smags Excel Worksheet Functions 1 January 25th 05 03:45 AM
Formating Dates for production schedule dpl7579 Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 January 11th 05 08:43 PM
due dates Niki New Users to Excel 4 January 10th 05 04:11 PM
I get wrong dates when i paste from a different sheet into a new s mmollat Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 January 6th 05 07:35 PM
micosoft excel dates entered but changed to sequencial numbers ho. ten twenty Excel Worksheet Functions 1 December 10th 04 02:29 AM