Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default using gui controls

I want to produce a simple application for my kids primary school using Excel
2003.
The worksheet will have the alphabet listed and underneath each letter there
will be a corresponding value (ie a =1 through to z =26). The kids will then
write a name (or other single word) in a cell and the relevant letters would
be choosen in the alphabet table and its calculated 'value' output into
another cell.

Thanks for any help
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If say "ABE" is entered in the designated cell then is the result...
125 or 8 (sum) or 10 (product)?
How would this meaningful to school kids?
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"daddy260"

wrote in message
I want to produce a simple application for my kids primary school using Excel
2003.
The worksheet will have the alphabet listed and underneath each letter there
will be a corresponding value (ie a =1 through to z =26). The kids will then
write a name (or other single word) in a cell and the relevant letters would
be choosen in the alphabet table and its calculated 'value' output into
another cell.

Thanks for any help
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well, for what it's worth - here's something you could start with. Has code
attached to the sheet. Right-click on tab name and choose [View Code] to
see/edit it. Worksheet is protected without a password: code will put it
back into protected status, so to work on the sheet I suggest you open the
file and choose not to enable macros then unprotect the sheet. I figure
younger kids would probably like some pictures/graphics on it also?

Letters used in the word(s) are shaded and the total 'score' is reported
each time the entry in the green-shaded cell is changed.