Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Countif formulas

Column A: Column C:
row1: V001 Done
row2: V001 O 1234
row3: V001 O 2345
row4: V002 Received Blank
row5: V002, etc. Done

End result needs to be the number of "O"s for V001. (which should be "2")

I tried the countif formula and it works as long as I don't use the wildcard
"*" - which I don't need for the "Done" and "Received Blank" entries. Once I
add the "*" to the formula to add up all the "O", it returns a value of 0.

What formula should I use since I need to use the wildcard?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Maybe...

=sumproduct(--(a1:a10="V001"),--(left(c1:c10,2)="o "))

Adjust the ranges to match--but you can't use whole columns (except in xl2007).

=sumproduct() likes to work with numbers. The -- stuff changes trues and falses
to 1's and 0's.

Bob Phillips explains =sumproduct() in much more detail he

And J.E. McGimpsey has some notes at:
http://mcgimpsey.com/excel/formulae/doubleneg.html

--

Dave Peterson