Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Date/Time parsing and calculation

I'm struggling with this one and would appreciate some help please. I
have a Start Time fixed in C3, 10:20, in Custom format hh:mm. IOW,
getting on for half past ten in the morning. In the body of the
worksheet I have

Col A Col B
Filename Time from Start
----------------------------------- ---------------
20050813-105501-KennetAvonJoins.JPG
20050813-112231-ReadingHenley.JPG
20050813-114837-Sonning Lock.JPG
etc

Each filename is prefixed with date and time, e.g.
20050813-105501 is about 10:55 on 13th August 2005 (I'm ignoring
seconds).

I want to calculate and enter the times from start in Col B, like
this:

Col A Col B
Filename Time from Start
----------------------------------- ---------------
20050813-105501-KennetAvonJoins.JPG 0:35
20050813-112231-ReadingHenley.JPG 1:02
20050813-114837-Sonning Lock.JPG 1:46
etc etc

Could someone help me derive the correct formula please?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Terry Pinnell wrote:

[...]

Pleased to say I seem to have managed to come up with a solution
myself. If the first row is 15, then a formula that works is:
=(MID(A15,10,2)&":"&MID(A15,12,2))-$C$3

I found that formatting that as 'Time' gave the correct result. I
expect there's a neater solution though!

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Terry Pinnell wrote:

Terry Pinnell wrote:

[...]

However, the next bit still has me head-scratching. How do I turn that
result of say 0:18 into hours, 0.300, (or 1:02 into 1.033, etc) so
that I can do further calculations?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

[...]

[...]