Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
KP KP is offline

Default Forms - pick up info from one worksheet to another

Hi,

I am using Excl 2007. I'm not sure Excel can do what I need so I figured I
would come to the experts:

*Worksheet #1: Database of about 2000 names, addresses, etc.
*Worksheet #2: A form I created to pull in names from Worksheet #1

Example: The form has the same fields as the database. If I were to start
typing in the last name of someone in the database on the other worksheet, is
there anyway I can get all of that person's information to appear on the form?

I've also been practicing in Access but am more familiar with Excel.

Thanks.
--
KP
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If that last name is unique, maybe you could use =vlookup() or =index(match())
to return the other fields.

Debra Dalgleish has lots of notes on =vlookup() and =index(match()) he
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html (for =vlookup())
and
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html (for =index(match()))

KP wrote:

Hi,

I am using Excl 2007. I'm not sure Excel can do what I need so I figured I
would come to the experts:

*Worksheet #1: Database of about 2000 names, addresses, etc.
*Worksheet #2: A form I created to pull in names from Worksheet #1

Example: The form has the same fields as the database. If I were to start
typing in the last name of someone in the database on the other worksheet, is
there anyway I can get all of that person's information to appear on the form?

I've also been practicing in Access but am more familiar with Excel.

Thanks.
--
KP

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Try as follow:

enter the formula below in the cells A2, A3, A4, . . . in the summary sheet:

=vlookup(A1,databaseTableSheet,column#,false)

A1= the cell you want to enter the name i recommand that you make a name for
the name field in your database and in the summary sheet active cell A1 and
then go to the menu DataValidation and then choos list from the Allow
drupdown menu and then enter the name that you made with an = at the
biginning in the source textbox and click OK so it helps you to open a
drupdown menu in the cell A1 in the summary sheet instead writing the name

DatabaseTableSheet = the range of your database for example A1:k12000 be
inform that the name fild in this database should be the first field in the
left

Column# = the field number that you want to return in the cell that you are
entering the formula for example if you want to return the address and the
address is the 3rd field in your database your column# would be 3

i hope you can make it so if you couldn't then you can send your file to my
email ) then i can fix it for you.

Thanks,

--
Farhad Hodjat