Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Cannot open Excel file

I worked yesterday on a big Excel file (19 MB). Everything was fine.
This morning, I tried to open it but the file doesn't open.
I see "Opening ...", it seems to work but then the progress control freezes
Is there a way to run a diagnosis on the file to know what's wrong ?
I use Excel 2000 9.0.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Not that I know of. Does the file have any macro code that runs when the
workbook is opened? That could be an issue. I'd start by making a copy of
that workbook to work with while trying to diagnose the problem. That way
your original will remain in its current state - good or bad.

If you know there are macros that run when the workbook is opened or if you
are unsure, you can hold down the [Shift] key while opening the workbook to
prevent those, and any other macros, from executing. If it opens smoothly
and without problem, then it may be a macro that's slowing things down or
preventing the load from completing.

If that still doesn't help, might try taking a copy to another machine with
more resources (more memory mainly) and see if it will open there. As a kind
of last resort, you could make sure you're not running much of any other
programs and attempt to open the file and take a coffee break and see if it's
loaded up when you get back 15 or 20 minutes later - it may be that your
system is having to work really hard to find room to put that 19MB file and
do all of the (re)calculations it has to during the open.

"intersection row and column" wrote:

I worked yesterday on a big Excel file (19 MB). Everything was fine.
This morning, I tried to open it but the file doesn't open.
I see "Opening ...", it seems to work but then the progress control freezes
Is there a way to run a diagnosis on the file to know what's wrong ?
I use Excel 2000 9.0.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

thanks. I copied the file and took it home where I have Excel 2002 ... and I
was able to open the file without any problem. Maybe Excel 2002 does things
that 2000 cannot. At work, I reboot my computer and it still didn't work.
There is no macro opening when the file is loading. So I guess my problem was
either due to lack of memory (I'll ask my boss for a memory upgrade) or some
kind of limitation in Excel 2000.