Andy1973

Default Fill series of letters?

Is there a way of getting Excel to fill a series of letters, so that a given
cell value of A would increase in succeeding cells to B, C,.....Y, Z, AA,
AB... ?

RagDyer

Surprisingly enough, Redmond, in their infinite wisdom, has chosen not to
include the alphabet of the countries within the Custom Lists.

You have to "roll your own".

Enter the alphabet in a column, and then select the column.
Then,
<Tools <Options <CustomLists tab,
The "Import List From Cells" box should already contain the range you
selected containing your alphabet.
Simply click on "Import", then <OK,
And you now have the alphabet (both upper & lower case, irrespective of
which one you entered), included in the lists, together with the days of the
week and the months.

However, you included in your question "AA", "AB".
If you really want this, then you'll have to enter the entire list, as you
wish it to auto increment, into a column and re-import it to the Custom List
file.
--

HTH,

RD

"Andy1973" wrote in message
Is there a way of getting Excel to fill a series of letters, so that a given
cell value of A would increase in succeeding cells to B, C,.....Y, Z, AA,
AB... ?

Andy1973

Many thanks to RagDyer, though trying the full 702 range (a to zz) makes
Excel burp: it appears to accept the full range, but when I use it in Fill
Series...Autofill it goes only as far as yy, then restarts at a,b.... I can
live with that, though if anyone can explain why Excel (2000 Professional)
uses only the first 675 items of an instructed sequence of 702 I'd love to
know. (? 26^2 -1 ?)

I couldn't get Excel to accept differentiated cases as separate lists,
either; but Autofill gives lower or upper according to the case of the head
cell.

Max

.. trying the full 702 range (a to zz)

From a previous post by Bernie Deitrick in .worksheet.functions

Put in any starting cell:

=IF(ROW(A1) 26, CHAR(INT((ROW(A1) - 1)/ 26) + 64) & CHAR(MOD(ROW(A1) -
1,26) + 65), CHAR(ROW(A1) + 64))

Copy down up to 702 rows to get the full range: A, B, .... ZZ

To fill accross, change each ROW function in the formula to COLUMN,
viz. use:

=IF(COLUMN(A1) 26, CHAR(INT((COLUMN(A1) - 1)/ 26) + 64) &
CHAR(MOD(COLUMN(A1) - 1,26) + 65), CHAR(COLUMN(A1) + 64))

--
Rgds
Max
"Andy1973" wrote in message
Many thanks to RagDyer, though trying the full 702 range (a to zz) makes
Excel burp: it appears to accept the full range, but when I use it in Fill
Series...Autofill it goes only as far as yy, then restarts at a,b.... I

can
live with that, though if anyone can explain why Excel (2000 Professional)
uses only the first 675 items of an instructed sequence of 702 I'd love to
know. (? 26^2 -1 ?)

I couldn't get Excel to accept differentiated cases as separate lists,
either; but Autofill gives lower or upper according to the case of the

head
cell.

Andy1973

Thank you: the formula (with all spaces removed!) works a treat.