Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Unable to format spreadsheet

I ran an excel spreadsheet which had some macro functions and after that, I'm
no longer able to access the "Format" & "Insert" tabs. Also, right-clicking
on a cell no longer brings a drop down box.

I've tried uninstalling & reinstalling Office XP to no avail. Would anyone
have a solution ? Is there a "normal" template I can reinstall ??

I currently run WinXP

Any help would be appreciated !
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This is where I'd start...

Close excel
windows start button|Search
look for *.xlb in hidden folders and for hiddend files.

Rename all you find to *.xlbOLD

Then back to excel and test it.

If it didn't work then rename your *.xlbOLD files back to *.xlb.

If it works ok, then delete those *.xlbOLD files. You will have to rebuild any
customized changes you've made to your toolbars, though.

===
If it didn't work, then the next step will be doing some detective work.

Chip Pearson has some notes on how to diagnose startup errors:

And Jan Karel Pieterse has more notes:
http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/StartupProblems.asp

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

yes yes !! it worked !! what happened anyway ??

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Does that mean it worked?

<vbg

nemyne wrote:

I ran an excel spreadsheet which had some macro functions and after that, I'm
no longer able to access the "Format" & "Insert" tabs. Also, right-clicking
on a cell no longer brings a drop down box.

I've tried uninstalling & reinstalling Office XP to no avail. Would anyone
have a solution ? Is there a "normal" template I can reinstall ??

I currently run WinXP

Any help would be appreciated !

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The macros you ran changed the menus and did not undo those changes when you
exited.

Poorly written code would be the cause of that.

When Excel closed it saved the changes to the *.XLB file which is the file that
stores customizations.

By deleting that *.xlb file you forced Excel to re-build the default *.xlb file
without the changes.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

nemyne wrote:

I ran an excel spreadsheet which had some macro functions and after that, I'm
no longer able to access the "Format" & "Insert" tabs. Also, right-clicking
on a cell no longer brings a drop down box.

I've tried uninstalling & reinstalling Office XP to no avail. Would anyone
have a solution ? Is there a "normal" template I can reinstall ??

I currently run WinXP

Any help would be appreciated !

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you for the explanation. Now I'll write to the those people who wrote
that macro to fix it.

Thank you once again ! :)