Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Test Formatting?

Many of my spread sheets use color to indicate status. Some of these
formulas are quite extensive and quite frankly I forget some of the evolved
logic. Is there a way to test for the color of a cell.
For example, I can write an IF statement as follows :
IF(B250,"Above Average","Below Average")
I would like to write an IF statement like:
IF(AND(B2 is colored Green, A2 is colored Yellow), "Issue Resolved","Issue
not Resolved")

Any suggestions?

Craig

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

How did you color the cells............manually or via Conditional Formatting?

If manually, you will need a User Defined Function to test the color.

See Chip Pearson's site for the necessary UDF's

Then you would need a formula like such................

=IF(AND(cellcolorindex(B2)=10,(cellcolorindex(A2)= 6)),"issue resolved","issue
not resolved")

If colored via CF, just use the original criteria in your IF(AND( formula.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 16 May 2007 16:43:17 -0500, "C Brandt" wrote:

Many of my spread sheets use color to indicate status. Some of these
formulas are quite extensive and quite frankly I forget some of the evolved
logic. Is there a way to test for the color of a cell.
For example, I can write an IF statement as follows :
IF(B250,"Above Average","Below Average")
I would like to write an IF statement like:
IF(AND(B2 is colored Green, A2 is colored Yellow), "Issue Resolved","Issue
not Resolved")

Any suggestions?

Craig

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The cell was colored via CF. The formulas to color the cell are quite
extensive and in realty, this pass, I want action if the cell is not
colored. Normally I would just use the logic that created the color, but if
there was a way to sense the color of the CF. it certainly simplifies the
logic to make other decisions.

Thanks,
Craig

wrote:

Many of my spread sheets use color to indicate status. Some of these
formulas are quite extensive and quite frankly I forget some of the

evolved
logic. Is there a way to test for the color of a cell.
For example, I can write an IF statement as follows :
IF(B250,"Above Average","Below Average")
I would like to write an IF statement like:
IF(AND(B2 is colored Green, A2 is colored Yellow), "Issue

Resolved","Issue
not Resolved")

Any suggestions?

Craig

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Chip's site also has UDF's to return the CF colors.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CFColors.htm

Guess I could have posted that originally<g

Gord

On Wed, 16 May 2007 21:18:05 -0500, "C Brandt" wrote:

The cell was colored via CF. The formulas to color the cell are quite
extensive and in realty, this pass, I want action if the cell is not
colored. Normally I would just use the logic that created the color, but if
there was a way to sense the color of the CF. it certainly simplifies the
logic to make other decisions.

Thanks,
Craig

.. .

wrote:

Many of my spread sheets use color to indicate status. Some of these
formulas are quite extensive and quite frankly I forget some of the

evolved
logic. Is there a way to test for the color of a cell.
For example, I can write an IF statement as follows :
IF(B250,"Above Average","Below Average")
I would like to write an IF statement like:
IF(AND(B2 is colored Green, A2 is colored Yellow), "Issue

Resolved","Issue
not Resolved")

Any suggestions?

Craig

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

C Brandt

You can identify all or all the same conditional formatting by going
toEditGo toSpecial and select conditional formats. Now you can see all
of them or only the ones that are the same.

Mike Rogers