Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel 2007 Date Keyboard Shortcut problem

The ctrl+; shortcut inserts the date as formatted in regional settings
rather than the "day number" date. I want the "day number" date so I can
process it.

Any suggestions?
TIA

Daniel L. Lieberman

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave,
That is the whole point the ctrl+; does not appear as anything other than a
formatted date regardless of the cell formatting. To be more specific it
does not enter the date serial number even if the cell is formatted as
general.
Daniel

"Daniel L. Lieberman" wrote:

The ctrl+; shortcut inserts the date as formatted in regional settings
rather than the "day number" date. I want the "day number" date so I can
process it.

Any suggestions?
TIA

Daniel L. Lieberman

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave,

I get the same result a) starting Vista Business in safe mode, and b)
starting excel in the safe mode (/s switch.)

Daniel

"Daniel L. Lieberman" wrote:

The ctrl+; shortcut inserts the date as formatted in regional settings
rather than the "day number" date. I want the "day number" date so I can
process it.

Any suggestions?
TIA

Daniel L. Lieberman

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I meant format the cell as General after you hit the shortcutkey. Not before.

Does that work?

By the way, ctrl-shift-backquote (ctrl-tilde) is the shortcut key to change the
format to General.

"Daniel L. Lieberman" wrote:

The ctrl+; shortcut inserts the date as formatted in regional settings
rather than the "day number" date. I want the "day number" date so I can
process it.

Any suggestions?
TIA

Daniel L. Lieberman

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

even if the cell is formatted as general.

If the cell is 'number' formatted it stays a number.

--
Jim
"Daniel L. Lieberman" wrote in message
| Dave,
| That is the whole point the ctrl+; does not appear as anything other than
| formatted date regardless of the cell formatting. To be more specific it
| does not enter the date serial number even if the cell is formatted as
| general.
| Daniel

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave,

It doesn't matter you format the cell before or after using the shortcut
key. What do you get when you use the key.

I just tried using the key into general, long date and short date cells and
then changing them and it made no difference.

"Daniel L. Lieberman" wrote:

The ctrl+; shortcut inserts the date as formatted in regional settings
rather than the "day number" date. I want the "day number" date so I
can
process it.

Any suggestions?
TIA

Daniel L. Lieberman

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You don't have a macro that steals the ctrl-; keystroke and does some special
stuff, do you?

I'd try opening excel in safe mode:

Close excel
windows start button|Run
excel /safe

and test it out

"Daniel L. Lieberman" wrote:

The ctrl+; shortcut inserts the date as formatted in regional settings
rather than the "day number" date. I want the "day number" date so I
can
process it.

Any suggestions?
TIA

Daniel L. Lieberman

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave,

I had not only checked it out with excel.exe /s but also running Vista is
safe mode. I have also reinstalled.
The ctrl+; is not in any Excel or Word macro.
This is a real puzzle. It even enters the date into a cell formatted as
"Number."

"Daniel L. Lieberman" wrote:

The ctrl+; shortcut inserts the date as formatted in regional
settings
rather than the "day number" date. I want the "day number" date so
can
process it.

Any suggestions?
TIA

Daniel L. Lieberman

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't have another guess.

And you have the same problem if you create a new workbook and try it there???

(No matter your response, it won't help me. Sorry.)