Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DT DT is offline

Default Pivot Table - Auto Sort Option

I want to sort on a Data field but cannot get the pivot table "Auto Sort"
option to work. I am accessing the option via Field Settings -- Advanced,
selecting the Descending option button and my Data item from the drop down
menu. All to no avail. Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are you sorting a Row field based on the Data field?
If so, how many fields are Row area?
Does anything change when you sort?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DT DT is offline

Thanks for your response.

There are 5 rows, and yes I am sorting based on the Data field (selecting
the one Data field from the "Auto Sort" drop down menu). My desire is to
sort the Data in descending order.

No, nothing changes when I sort.

DT wrote:
I want to sort on a Data field but cannot get the pivot table "Auto Sort"
option to work. I am accessing the option via Field Settings -- Advanced,
selecting the Descending option button and my Data item from the drop down
menu. All to no avail. Any suggestions?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DT DT is offline

Upon further "testing" I have found that if I start with one row item and my
data item, then go into Field Settings and set the Auto Sort options the data
will sort. I then go back and add the additional row items I need...the sort
continues to hold then as well as when the source data is manipulated and the
pivot table updated.

The trick appears to be starting with only ONE row, setting the sort
options, then adding any additional rows needed. If anyone has any other
ideas besides this work around please let me know. Otherwise, this seems to
accomplish the desired result.