Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I create a drop down list for an entire column?

I have created a drop down list for the first cell in the column using the
data, validation method but I want the list for each cell in the column. How
do I do this without having to go to each cell to create the list?
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I create a drop down list for an entire column?

To create a drop down list for an entire column in Excel, you can use the "Fill Handle" feature. Here are the steps:
  1. Select the cell that contains the drop down list you created using the data validation method.
  2. Click on the "Fill Handle" (the small square at the bottom right corner of the selected cell) and drag it down to the last cell in the column where you want the drop down list to appear.
  3. Release the mouse button and select "Fill Series" from the options that appear.

This will copy the drop down list to all the cells in the column. Now, when you click on any cell in that column, you will see the drop down list.

Note: Make sure that the cell containing the drop down list is in the same row as the other cells where you want the list to appear. If the cell is not in the same row, Excel will not be able to copy the list to the other cells.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try copying the first cell down as far as you want.

"wanderer83" wrote:

I have created a drop down list for the first cell in the column using the
data, validation method but I want the list for each cell in the column. How
do I do this without having to go to each cell to create the list?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I did that and selected an option from the list, and then in the cell below
tried to selct an option from the list but the option from the cell above was
not there. the options seemed to be disappearing from the list when I
selected them!

"wanderer83" wrote:

I have created a drop down list for the first cell in the column using the
data, validation method but I want the list for each cell in the column. How
do I do this without having to go to each cell to create the list?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

in Data validation:

Allow:
List

Source:
=$A$1:$A$5

So your list in in A1 to A5

"wanderer83" wrote:

I have created a drop down list for the first cell in the column using the
data, validation method but I want the list for each cell in the column. How
do I do this without having to go to each cell to create the list?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I've done it but I'm not sure how! Thanks for your help though!

"excelent" wrote:

in sourse box type:
=A:A
or
=B:B or what ever

"wanderer83" wrote:

I have created a drop down list for the first cell in the column using the
data, validation method but I want the list for each cell in the column. How
do I do this without having to go to each cell to create the list?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think what was being asked is how to apply the list to the entire column.
The answer is to first select the entire column, then use the Data Validation!
Bob Umlas
Excel MVP