Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Can't Copy and Paste between Workbooks

I am unable to copy from one workbook to another workbook. What I should say
is that I can copy but when I go the other workbook, Paste is grayed out. If
I open a second instance of Excel, Copy and Paste will work between the 2
instances but not between workbooks in a single instance of Excel. This is
only happening on 1 computer out of 25 that we have at this office. I checked
in Tools-Options-Edit and made sure that the Paste option was checked. Any
ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One of the side effects of macros is that the contents of the clipboard is lost.

It sounds like you have a macro running--maybe a worksheet_activate or a
workbook_activate or even an application event.

I'd look to see if you have any of those type macros that are running.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bj bj is offline

A quick way to determine if this is the case is to copy on one file go to the
file where paste is grayed out, select a cell and then go back to the
original file and see if you can paste there.
Check the personal XLS for macros on the computer for which this happens.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

One of the side effects of macros is that the contents of the clipboard is lost.

It sounds like you have a macro running--maybe a worksheet_activate or a
workbook_activate or even an application event.

I'd look to see if you have any of those type macros that are running.

Tom at Galanti & Company PC wrote:

I am unable to copy from one workbook to another workbook. What I should say
is that I can copy but when I go the other workbook, Paste is grayed out. If
I open a second instance of Excel, Copy and Paste will work between the 2
instances but not between workbooks in a single instance of Excel. This is
only happening on 1 computer out of 25 that we have at this office. I checked
in Tools-Options-Edit and made sure that the Paste option was checked. Any
ideas?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Actually, if I wanted to check to see if this was a macro related problem, I'd
open excel in safe mode so that all the macros would be disabled:

close excel
windows start button|Run
excel /safe

File|open both workbooks
and test it out.

If it worked there, I would look under under the ThisWorkbook module of each
workbook first. Then I would look for a workbook that may have tied into
application events. This could include Personal.xls, but it doesn't have to be
personal.xls.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks guys. I do believe you have pointed me in the right driection. After
installing a new application, I do know that this new app installed some
macros with it to support itself. I'm willing to bet this is where I need to
do my investigation. After I check this out, I'll post what I found in case
anyone else is having a similiar problem.