Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Sorting

I am trying to sort alpha-numeric cells all in the same column. But I cannot
get the sort in order.

For example;
COND7
COND8
COND9
COND10
COND11
COND12
COND13
COND14
COND15
COND16
COND17
COND18
COND109
COND110
COND111
COND112
1SHDAE
151E2
30SHDY
31SHDY

Sort Result is not what I would expect
151E2
1SHDAE
30SHDY
31SHDY
COND10
COND109
COND11
COND110
COND111
COND112
COND12
COND13
COND14
COND15
COND16
COND17
COND18
COND7
COND8
COND9

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I was expeciting at least to see

COND7
COND8
COND9
COND10
COND11
COND12
COND13
COND14
COND15
COND16
COND17
COND18
COND109
COND110
COND111
COND112

appeng wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel is sorting the data in an alpha-numeric order (just like a dictionary
would). And 1's come before 2's.

You could either extract the numbers from your data into a different column.
And sort your range by these two helper columns (Cond in one column, 7 in the
next).

Or you could edit your entries:

Cond0007
cond0008
cond0009
cond0010

To get the sort you want.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There is a commercial alternative available: "Special Sort" from yours truly...
(you can try it before buying)
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA