Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel

Default Can I use the named range in the following way?

Hi all,

I defined a cell named range:

Let's call the cells A1 to A5 to be "trytry".

Then in another cell, I enter "sum(trytry)", I will be able to get correct
result.

But how do I manipulate the named cell range as an array variable?

For example, if I want multiply each element of "trytry" by 3 and put the
results in another column vector(array), is it possible?

More generally, I am looking for ways to do calculation in Excel more
intuitively. Instead of addressing cells by row number and column letters, I
hope I can address the cells by variable names. And another thing I hope is
to be able to display the calculations/formulaes. Currently there is no way
to show the formulaes. All that shown in the Excel sheets is the results
with no calculations visible. There must be a switch somewhere allowing the
formulaes to be shown.

When the formulaes are shown, I hope they can be shown as meaningful
variable names, instead of column letters and row numbers?

Please give me some pointers on how to make calculations in Excel more
intuitive and more efficient?

Thanks a lot

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel

There are a couple of ways to do what you want.

Enter this formula in B1 and copy down to B5:

=INDEX(trytry,ROWS($1:1))*3

Or, to enter it as an array:

Select B1:B5 and enter this formula as an array (CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER):

=trytry*3

To view the formulas:

Goto the menu ToolsOptionsViewFormulas

Biff