Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Is the Excel Version Number Embedded in a File

Hi

does the version of Excel creating an Excel file get embedded in the file
itself. Put another way - if someone sends me an Excel file, can I
interrogate that file to find out which version of Excel was used to create
the file?

Thanks

Tim

PS I had a look at Built-in Properties and also did a Google Search but
turned up nothing..

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm sure it is but how to get at it I don't know. I tried looking at some
files in various text editors but didn't see anything that stood out as a
version identifier.

Biff

"Tim Childs" wrote in message
Hi

does the version of Excel creating an Excel file get embedded in the file
itself. Put another way - if someone sends me an Excel file, can I
interrogate that file to find out which version of Excel was used to
create
the file?

Thanks

Tim

PS I had a look at Built-in Properties and also did a Google Search but
turned up nothing..

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Biff

Thanks for coming back on this