Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formula Question

Hello All,

I was wondering if there is a way to save my formula that references another
sheet from going to #REF when the sheet is deleted and then recreated.

In my main sheet called Master, I have the following formula in G1
=Roster!$D$8

When ever my Roster sheet gets deleted and rebuilt, my formula above always
goes to the following
=#REF!$D$8.

If it is possible, how can i prevent this from happening because now what I
have to do is go to every cell and change it form
=REF!$D$8 to =Roster!$D$8 to pull my values over.

Argus

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Apr 23, 11:46 pm, "OdAwG" wrote:
Hello All,

I was wondering if there is a way to save my formula that references another
sheet from going to #REF when the sheet is deleted and then recreated.

In my main sheet called Master, I have the following formula in G1
=Roster!$D$8

When ever my Roster sheet gets deleted and rebuilt, my formula above always
goes to the following
=#REF!$D$8.

If it is possible, how can i prevent this from happening because now what I
have to do is go to every cell and change it form
=REF!$D$8 to =Roster!$D$8 to pull my values over.

Argus

Can't you simply clear the data from the Roster sheet rather than
deleting it? That would prevent the #REF errors.

Mark Lincoln

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi,
deleteing a sheet (row or column, other) causes the formula to loose it's
reference to the source data. recreating the source does not recreate the
link.
so....don't delete the sheet. delete the data on the sheet.
it may be simpler. click the square in the upper left corner above row1 and
left of column A. hit the delete key. done. rebuild the sheet.
Regards
FSt1

"OdAwG" wrote:

Hello All,

I was wondering if there is a way to save my formula that references another
sheet from going to #REF when the sheet is deleted and then recreated.

In my main sheet called Master, I have the following formula in G1
=Roster!$D$8

When ever my Roster sheet gets deleted and rebuilt, my formula above always
goes to the following
=#REF!$D$8.

If it is possible, how can i prevent this from happening because now what I
have to do is go to every cell and change it form
=REF!$D$8 to =Roster!$D$8 to pull my values over.

Argus

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hello
when ever you are linking excell sheets (i.e.,ex. =roster$d$1), a link
was created between source to destination.When your changing the source file
the destination file will automatically chage.so to avoid this before
deleting the source file, go to the destination file and click
EDIT-LINKS-BREAK LINKS-OK. If you do this procedure your destination data
will not change. And you can safely delete the source file and the #ref will
not shown.ok