Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default excel bust

for some reason i cannot edit worksheets that i had saved on my computer.
when i open up my worksheets my computer uses microsoft excel viewer, im
guessing that this program is only good for that. viewing. this is the first
time that i run into this problem. when i click on the "file" scroll down to
"open for editing" i get an error message. it reads the following. "cannot
find any version of microsoft excel to open this file for editing" can
someone please help
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sun, 22 Apr 2007 20:00:02 -0700 from stewart pines
:
when i click on the "file" scroll down to
"open for editing" i get an error message. it reads the following. "cannot
find any version of microsoft excel to open this file for editing"

Somehow you've uninstalled or damaged your Excel.

First do a thorough virus scan, with up-to-date virus definitions,
then reinstall Excel.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are you trying to open them directly from a folder or first opening Excel and
then using File | Open to open them?

I think the question is whether or not Excel still resides on your machine.
It is possible that somehow you installed the Excel Viewer and it "stole" the
..xls file association away from the real Excel.

"stewart pines" wrote:

for some reason i cannot edit worksheets that i had saved on my computer.
when i open up my worksheets my computer uses microsoft excel viewer, im
guessing that this program is only good for that. viewing. this is the first
time that i run into this problem. when i click on the "file" scroll down to
"open for editing" i get an error message. it reads the following. "cannot
find any version of microsoft excel to open this file for editing" can
someone please help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

thank you very mcuh fo the help. i did run a scan of on my computer with the
updates. it still wont let me edit the worksheets. where can i download the
excel program from a web site. how can i find out if the program is still in
the computer but needs to be turned on.

"Stan Brown" wrote:

Sun, 22 Apr 2007 20:00:02 -0700 from stewart pines
:
when i click on the "file" scroll down to
"open for editing" i get an error message. it reads the following. "cannot
find any version of microsoft excel to open this file for editing"

Somehow you've uninstalled or damaged your Excel.

First do a thorough virus scan, with up-to-date virus definitions,
then reinstall Excel.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There aren't any websites to download it from, as far as I know the only
legitimate copies of Office/Excel are still delivered on CD except for
special subscription services from Microsoft or trial offers of Office 2007
from them.

To see if it exists on your computer, do a search for a file named
Excel.exe, typically it is in a path like C:/Program Files/Microsoft
Office/Office## where '##' is a number such as 8, 9, 10, 11 or 12 depending
on the version of Office installed.

If you find Excel.exe on your system, probably the easiest way to get Excel
to open your .xls files is to open any folder in My Computer and then choose
Tools | Options and then choose the File Types tab. Scroll down the list
until you find the XLS entry and simply choose it and then use the Delete
button to delete the entry (you can repeat this for other XL.. options and
rebuild in a similar fashion). The next time you try to open a .xls file you
will get the "open with what program?" prompt and you then choose the "Always
open with" check-box and browse to find the location of Excel.exe on your
computer and open it with excel.exe. That will rebuild the entry in the
[File Types] list for you.

Another option to consider is to simply purchase a copy of either Excel
(stand-alone) or Office, then you'll have the real-deal and CDs to restore
from if it ever breaks. There are good prices on Office 2007 and even some
older versions of Office on-line at legitimate sites like
BuyCheapSoftware.com, NothingButSoftware.com, NewEgg.com, and MWave.com. You
can get Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student version for as low as about
$120 through them.