Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JLatham JLatham is offline

Default excel bust

Are you trying to open them directly from a folder or first opening Excel and
then using File | Open to open them?

I think the question is whether or not Excel still resides on your machine.
It is possible that somehow you installed the Excel Viewer and it "stole" the
..xls file association away from the real Excel.

"stewart pines" wrote:

for some reason i cannot edit worksheets that i had saved on my computer.
when i open up my worksheets my computer uses microsoft excel viewer, im
guessing that this program is only good for that. viewing. this is the first
time that i run into this problem. when i click on the "file" scroll down to
"open for editing" i get an error message. it reads the following. "cannot
find any version of microsoft excel to open this file for editing" can
someone please help