Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Opening .csv file in Excel2003 vs Excel2000

When my Colleague opens a csv file in Excel 2000, it opens fine, when I do
the same in 2003 all contents are in the first column. We both have Dutch as
Location which I know is an issue due to the comma seperator etc. but why can
she open it?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Maybe her Windows list separator matches the separator that's used in the file?

Open up the regional settings applet under control panel

In winXP:
windows start button|settings|control panel|regional and language options
On the Regional Options tab
click the Customize button

On the numbers tab, check the list separator box. Make it match what's used in
the CSV file.

Be aware that this is a windows setting and can affect other programs.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dear Dave,

Her list seperator doesn't match the seperator in the file Her separator is
; and in the file it's , Also I've checked our settings in the regional
settings - they are all the same. - Therefore it makes no sense that it
workes with her......

Holmark wrote:

When my Colleague opens a csv file in Excel 2000, it opens fine, when I do
the same in 2003 all contents are in the first column. We both have Dutch as
Location which I know is an issue due to the comma seperator etc. but why can
she open it?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In some versions of excel (xl2002+???), there's an option you can check:

Tools|Options|International tab

Check the settings there.

Holmark wrote:

When my Colleague opens a csv file in Excel 2000, it opens fine, when I do
the same in 2003 all contents are in the first column. We both have Dutch as
Location which I know is an issue due to the comma seperator etc. but why can
she open it?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Although it sounds backwards to me, maybe you could try matching her settings
(sounds very silly to me, but it won't take long to test it).

And how do each of you open the file? (doubleclicking on it in windows explorer
or file|open or by a macro???).

Holmark wrote:

When my Colleague opens a csv file in Excel 2000, it opens fine, when I do
the same in 2003 all contents are in the first column. We both have Dutch as
Location which I know is an issue due to the comma seperator etc. but why can
she open it?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The only place I can match her settings is in the regional settings and they
are the same. Also it doesn't matter how we open the file (doubleclicking or
via file open from within Excel) the result is the same...
It is not logical that it works for her as there is an issue with the Dutch
regional settings (decimal symbol is an comma) but if only I could figure out
why it does work I might be able to solve the problem within 2003 as well.
Thanks you for your help....

Holmark wrote:

When my Colleague opens a csv file in Excel 2000, it opens fine, when I do
the same in 2003 all contents are in the first column. We both have Dutch as
Location which I know is an issue due to the comma seperator etc. but why can
she open it?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I suspect the reason revolves around the language settings and default
handling of the value separator when CSV is the extension. IF you change
it to a TXT extension, you MUST tell it what the seperator is and then
you may find out why the two are different.