Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Need help on mail merge excel file into word document

Hi,
I need help on how to make the thousand separator appears after I merged the
excel file into word document. I was able to merge my excel file - the data
source into word document, but the thousand separator didn't appear with the
numbers after i merged it into the word document. I also baffled why the
parenthesis would change to a minus sign after i merged it. Can any one
help? I am really desparate. Thanks so much!

Lynn
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The merge merely picks up the cell contents as a number, not the formatting.
I find that the easiest way of dealing with this is to produce a helper
column using the TEXT() function to specify the required format, and then
use that column as your data source for the merge.

I believe that there are ways of specifying field formats within Word, but
I'll leave Word experts to tell you about that route.
--
David Biddulph

"Lynn" wrote in message
I need help on how to make the thousand separator appears after I merged
the
excel file into word document. I was able to merge my excel file - the
data
source into word document, but the thousand separator didn't appear with
the
numbers after i merged it into the word document. I also baffled why the
parenthesis would change to a minus sign after i merged it. Can any one
help? I am really desparate. Thanks so much!

Lynn

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In article , "David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk wrote:
The merge merely picks up the cell contents as a number, not the formatting.
I find that the easiest way of dealing with this is to produce a helper
column using the TEXT() function to specify the required format, and then
use that column as your data source for the merge.

I believe that there are ways of specifying field formats within Word, but
I'll leave Word experts to tell you about that route.

Try merging using 'from xl as DDE' too instead of one of the other options.
It's not the default IIRC and it doesn stop at least some of those annoying
formatting problems ... at least it did for me. :)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks, David, I really appreciated your help. I will try it tomorrow even
though i am not that great using the function features. I just wish that
there is a sample to help me to understand more easy what you have suggested
to me.

"Lynn" wrote in message
I need help on how to make the thousand separator appears after I merged
the
excel file into word document. I was able to merge my excel file - the
data
source into word document, but the thousand separator didn't appear with
the
numbers after i merged it into the word document. I also baffled why the
parenthesis would change to a minus sign after i merged it. Can any one
help? I am really desparate. Thanks so much!

Lynn

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank so much for your help, Bruce, but how do i merging using 'from xl as
DDE'? i am sorry because i am really not much a expert using excel. Are
there any steps by steps that you can show me? Am i asking too much from
you? If i do, then just ignore it, and i really appreciated you taking your
time to answer it.

Lynn

"Bruce Sinclair" wrote:

In article , "David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk wrote:
The merge merely picks up the cell contents as a number, not the formatting.
I find that the easiest way of dealing with this is to produce a helper
column using the TEXT() function to specify the required format, and then
use that column as your data source for the merge.

I believe that there are ways of specifying field formats within Word, but
I'll leave Word experts to tell you about that route.

Try merging using 'from xl as DDE' too instead of one of the other options.
It's not the default IIRC and it doesn stop at least some of those annoying
formatting problems ... at least it did for me. :)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you're trying to use parentheses instead of minus for negative numbers,
then you might try =TEXT(A1,"#,##0_ ;(#,##0) ").
You'll see some of the options available if you look in Format/ Cells/
Number/ Custom.
--
David Biddulph