Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Ranking

With ref to the below table:

a b c d e

A 1 5 6 8 2
B 6 9 10 11 12
C 9 8 7 7 4
D 1 2 3 4 19
E 13 14 15 20 5
F 6 7 8 9 10

Which formula shd I use if I need to rank them according to col & row:

Largest: (E, d)
2nd : (D, e)
3rd : (E, c)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

How about using CF to highlight the top 3 within the range?

Assume source range in A1:E6
Select A1:E6 (A1 active), then apply cond formatting using Formula Is:
=MATCH(A1,LARGE($A$1:$E$6,COLUMN($A:$C)),0)
Format to taste, Ok out
--
Max
Singapore
"Will" wrote:
With ref to the below table:

a b c d e

A 1 5 6 8 2
B 6 9 10 11 12
C 9 8 7 7 4
D 1 2 3 4 19
E 13 14 15 20 5
F 6 7 8 9 10

Which formula shd I use if I need to rank them according to col & row:

Largest: (E, d)
2nd : (D, e)
3rd : (E, c)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

"Will" wrote:
it dun work. I believ only array can.

It works fine as suggested. Either you didn't try it (did you?) or you
applied it incorrectly.

Attached is a sample which evidences the suggestion works:
http://www.savefile.com/files/628657
CF to highlight top 3.xls

--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

max,

Its work..

If i have 100 over cells in the table, meaning i have to do the CF one by one?

"Max" wrote:

"Will" wrote:
it dun work. I believ only array can.

It works fine as suggested. Either you didn't try it (did you?) or you
applied it incorrectly.

Attached is a sample which evidences the suggestion works:
http://www.savefile.com/files/628657
CF to highlight top 3.xls

--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

"Will" wrote
Max, Its work..

Yes, of course it does <g
I tested it before posting.

If i have 100 over cells in the table,
meaning i have to do the CF one by one?

No, no .. you can do it all at one go by selecting the range (with the
active cell at the top left corner of the selected range), then apply the CF
formula which references that top left corner's active cell

If you re-read my 1st response, the step given was
Select A1:E6 (A1 active) ..

Example:

If your 100 cells range to be CF'd is say, B2:F21,

Select B2:F21 (with B2 active),
then apply the CF using the formula:
=MATCH(B2,LARGE($B$2:$F$21,COLUMN($A:$C)),0)

Note that the CF formula references the active cell (B2) in the selected
range. The active cell is the cell you click on to start selecting the
range. It'll appear as "white" within the selected range.
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Max,

Sorry... wat do u mean by "active"

how do i make a cell active?

"Max" wrote:

"Will" wrote
Max, Its work..

Yes, of course it does <g
I tested it before posting.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Max,

How do i make a cell active? wat do u mean by A1 Active?

"Max" wrote:

"Will" wrote
Max, Its work..

Yes, of course it does <g
I tested it before posting.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

"Will" wrote
How do i make a cell active?
wat do u mean by A1 Active?

Re my last response:
.. The active cell is the cell you click on to start selecting the range.
It'll appear as "white" within the selected range.

--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Max,

I manage to fig out... THanks so much...

"Will" wrote:

Max,

How do i make a cell active? wat do u mean by A1 Active?

"Max" wrote:

"Will" wrote
Max, Its work..

Yes, of course it does <g
I tested it before posting.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

"Will" wrote
Max,
I manage to fig out... THanks so much...

whew, am I glad to hear that! You're welcome.
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

ranking Blade370 Excel Worksheet Functions 6 February 8th 07 10:53 AM
Ranking SBárbara Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 3 December 14th 06 06:39 PM
Ranking linzi00 Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 October 5th 06 05:42 PM
ranking Soz Excel Worksheet Functions 6 September 14th 05 05:55 PM
Ranking Tim Sullivan Excel Worksheet Functions 7 July 18th 05 07:00 PM