Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Trying to avoid making a list

We have a group of about 90 people and my head wants me to put together a
list for retraining purposes. What I have come up with is this:

Name--------Training----------Part_Time-----Full_Time-----Etc
Joe Buck------PLC----------------No--------------Yes-----
Joe Buck------Welding-----------Yes--------------No-----
Joe Buck------CNC----------------No--------------Yes------
Jill Doe--------Software Skills----yes--------------No----
Jill Doe--------New Career--------Yes-------------Yes-------

I turn this into a list with the dropdown menus, so I can filter the columns
using the headings.
On the whole it works quite well, but I was wondering if there is a more
elegant way where I don't have to enter everyone's name in several times,
depending on how many training courses we get to offer, and how many sign up
for them. The number of columns could also change.

We're offering six courses right now, so that's a listing of 90 X 6= 540
names. I could use macro's for the repetitive data entry, but I was
wondering if anyone knew of another way I could set about this. We need to
be able to filter for; how many people want to take a particular course, and
what courses a particular person wants to take. As well as any other
criteria she (my head) wants to come up with.
--
Ray Rogers

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Ray,
maybe you should consider using a database like access. For the work you
have to do databases are much more powerfull than excel.

"Ray Rogers" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

well one way to make things a bit easier is to use data validation for each
field: basically you have a list somewhere that narrow your choises so you do
not misspell names (even though 90 names in a dropdown list can slow down
your job).
Later you can summarize your data with a pivot table to have a better view
(and looking) of your data.
I will not advise to add new fields (columns) in your table, is much better
what you did! Especially if you start using Pivot Table.