Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Pastime

Default Making a list

I am trying to make an inventory list where I have consecutive numbers. I
don't want to type each number individually. Is there a special function
that will do that automatically?

Thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
David McRitchie

The question is are these inventory numbers, permanent asset numbers
in which case you would not want to use a formula and you would not want
to insert or delete rows once you start affixing labels.

You can place a 1 where you want the numbers to start, perhaps a 2 under it and extend
the sequence with the fill handle.

If the numbers are to be fluid and you want to insert and delete rows then you can
use =ROW() - k where k is a constant to adjust the number such as 1 so that
if on row 2 you would see the number 1. This would be just an item count not likely
to be used as an asset or inventory number.

---
HTH,