Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formula with first letter in cell

Hello
example : cell a1 reads " 1B- Failure to follow customer instructions"
( 1B is the error code and the rest is the desciption of the error)

now in column F1 I want to give this error a value. every error that
starts with a 1 has a value of 5, if the error starts with a 2 is has a
value of 10 , if the error starts with 3 has a value 15. etc How can I do
this? thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

If the first character in A1 is numeric, multiply it by 5, otherwise show 0:

=IF(ISNUMBER(LEFT(A1,1)), LEFT(A1,1), 0)*5

--
Hope that helps.

Vergel Adriano

"Wanna Learn" wrote:

Hello
example : cell a1 reads " 1B- Failure to follow customer instructions"
( 1B is the error code and the rest is the desciption of the error)

now in column F1 I want to give this error a value. every error that
starts with a 1 has a value of 5, if the error starts with a 2 is has a
value of 10 , if the error starts with 3 has a value 15. etc How can I do
this? thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It looks like my first suggestion was an improper use of the ISNUMBER
function. This seems to work:

=IF(ISERROR(LEFT(A1,1)*5),0,LEFT(A1,1)*5)

--
Hope that helps.

Vergel Adriano