Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Vergel Adriano Vergel Adriano is offline

Default Formula with first letter in cell

Hi,

If the first character in A1 is numeric, multiply it by 5, otherwise show 0:

=IF(ISNUMBER(LEFT(A1,1)), LEFT(A1,1), 0)*5

--
Hope that helps.

Vergel Adriano

"Wanna Learn" wrote:

Hello
example : cell a1 reads " 1B- Failure to follow customer instructions"
( 1B is the error code and the rest is the desciption of the error)

now in column F1 I want to give this error a value. every error that
starts with a 1 has a value of 5, if the error starts with a 2 is has a
value of 10 , if the error starts with 3 has a value 15. etc How can I do
this? thanks